Discuss Electrical compliance in first world is not as good as the third world in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
  • This is how we do things properly in South Africa

• When you contract an Electrician ask him for a copy of his Wireman's Licence, and a copy of his DOL Registration Certificate, don’t let him just show some paperwork that in any event will mean nothing to you. When you have these copies phone your national office of the DOL and CHECK that you are dealing with a Registered Electrician. Most important is to check the electrician’s credentials before any work is undertaken on your property.

How does someone become a Registered Electrician

When the Electrician has passed his (NTC 3), he would then be allowed to do his trade test.

If successful the Electrician would then be known as “Qualified”, but he would not be a Licensed Electrician. To become Licensed Electrician, a Qualified Electrician would have had to write and pass an exam on “Electrical Installation Regulations”.

When all this is done and the Electrician has served the appropriate time and passed all the examinations and Trade test the Qualified Electrician will be issued with a Licence from the Department of Labour.

If the now Qualified and Licensed Electrician wants to work as an Electrical Contractor he must further register with the DOL as a Registered Person. Please note that this registration must be redone every year.

As a Registered Person this Electrician can now issue ElectricalCertificates of Compliance (CoC). No other person other than a Registered Person is allowed to issue Certificates of Compliance.

There are three categories of a Registered Person.

A. Electrical Tester, who can work on a Single Phase installation Basically a normal house supplied with 220 Volt electrical supply
    B. Installation Electrician who can work on a Three Phase installation. Normally buildings and factories supplied with 380 Volt three phase supply
    C. Master Electrician for Hazardous Locations, basically petrol stations, mines, flammable areas.

An Electrical Tester cannot issue a (CoC) for a Three Phase installation. An Installation Electrician can issue a (CoC) for a single phase installation but not a Hazardous Location, and a Master Electrician can issue a (CoC) for any of the above installations.

You now know what a Registered Person is. He is not simply someone that has a good idea of what to do, and he is certainly not a “Handyman” that professes to be a “Jack of all Trades”

What are “Electrical Installation Regulations?”

As stated before, part of the qualification process is that an Electrician must pass the exam on “Electrical Installation Regulations” these regulations are actually the “Bible” relative to how an electrical installation shall be installed.

These regulations are the “Code of Practice” for ElectricalInstallations namely, The South African National Standard SANS 10142 - for The Wiring of Premises.

SANS 10142 is concerned with the basic safety of ElectricalInstallations. To ensure the protection of people, animals and property and the proper functioning of a fixed electricalinstallation, the aim is to ensure that protection from hazards that can arise from the operation of an electrical installation under both normal and fault conditions.

An electrical installation has to provide protection against

- Shock Current
    - Over Current
    - Fault Current
    - Over voltage
    - Under Voltage
    - Excessive Temperatures
    - Electric Arcs

If any of the above arises, the protection should automatically disconnect the supply or limit currents and voltages to safe values. In the case of under voltage, the protection should ensure that dangerous situations due to the loss and restoration of supply (for example to a motor) or due to a drop in voltage cannot occur.

The code only covers the electrical installation and the circuits feeding fixed appliances, but does not cover any appliances, for example stoves, geysers, air conditioning and refrigeration plant.

What makes the Electrical Installation Regulations Law

The Occupational Health and safety Act, 1993 (Act No. 85 of 1993) (OHS Act), which is administered by the Chief Inspector of Occupational Health and safety of the Department of Labour, requires that electrical installations comply with the requirements of SANS 10142. It also requires that a registered person, as defined (Master installation electrician, installation electrician or electrical tester for single phase), will issue a Certificate of Compliance together with a test report.

The certificate shall be in the form of the Certificate of Compliance published in the Electrical Installation regulations, and the test report shall be in the form of the test report published in the Electrical Installation regulations.`

We may have invented bureaucracy
- but when it costs the Gov. money to "Police it" - It goes all wishy-washy , like the courts/prison/police
Sent down X yrs ,then halved ..due to costs !

Arc faults and under volts will be considered in future designs ..
When the kit gets affordable !
(Or Install is pricey enough to warrant cost)

Last edited:
Surely this is why the Niceic Approved contractor is a good thing, you know by using one that they have the correct qualifications, they are assessed once a year, have relevant insurances, use proper test equipment etc etc.
It's got to be a lot safer than using someone without the accreditation surely and is a form of license.

• This is how we do things properly in South Africa

• When you contract an Electrician ask him for a copy of his Wireman's Licence, and a copy of his DOL Registration Certificate, don’t let him just show some paperwork that in any event will mean nothing to you. When you have these copies phone your national office of the DOL and CHECK that you are dealing with a Registered Electrician. Most important is to check the electrician’s credentials before any work is undertaken on your property.

How does someone become a Registered Electrician

When the Electrician has passed his (NTC 3), he would then be allowed to do his trade test.

If successful the Electrician would then be known as “Qualified”, but he would not be a Licensed Electrician. To become Licensed Electrician, a Qualified Electrician would have had to write and pass an exam on “Electrical Installation Regulations”.

When all this is done and the Electrician has served the appropriate time and passed all the examinations and Trade test the Qualified Electrician will be issued with a Licence from the Department of Labour.

If the now Qualified and Licensed Electrician wants to work as an Electrical Contractor he must further register with the DOL as a Registered Person. Please note that this registration must be redone every year.

As a Registered Person this Electrician can now issue ElectricalCertificates of Compliance (CoC). No other person other than a Registered Person is allowed to issue Certificates of Compliance.

There are three categories of a Registered Person.

A. Electrical Tester, who can work on a Single Phase installation Basically a normal house supplied with 220 Volt electrical supply
    B. Installation Electrician who can work on a Three Phase installation. Normally buildings and factories supplied with 380 Volt three phase supply
    C. Master Electrician for Hazardous Locations, basically petrol stations, mines, flammable areas.

An Electrical Tester cannot issue a (CoC) for a Three Phase installation. An Installation Electrician can issue a (CoC) for a single phase installation but not a Hazardous Location, and a Master Electrician can issue a (CoC) for any of the above installations.

You now know what a Registered Person is. He is not simply someone that has a good idea of what to do, and he is certainly not a “Handyman” that professes to be a “Jack of all Trades”

What are “Electrical Installation Regulations?”

As stated before, part of the qualification process is that an Electrician must pass the exam on “Electrical Installation Regulations” these regulations are actually the “Bible” relative to how an electrical installation shall be installed.

These regulations are the “Code of Practice” for ElectricalInstallations namely, The South African National Standard SANS 10142 - for The Wiring of Premises.

SANS 10142 is concerned with the basic safety of ElectricalInstallations. To ensure the protection of people, animals and property and the proper functioning of a fixed electricalinstallation, the aim is to ensure that protection from hazards that can arise from the operation of an electrical installation under both normal and fault conditions.

An electrical installation has to provide protection against

- Shock Current
    - Over Current
    - Fault Current
    - Over voltage
    - Under Voltage
    - Excessive Temperatures
    - Electric Arcs

If any of the above arises, the protection should automatically disconnect the supply or limit currents and voltages to safe values. In the case of under voltage, the protection should ensure that dangerous situations due to the loss and restoration of supply (for example to a motor) or due to a drop in voltage cannot occur.

The code only covers the electrical installation and the circuits feeding fixed appliances, but does not cover any appliances, for example stoves, geysers, air conditioning and refrigeration plant.

What makes the Electrical Installation Regulations Law

The Occupational Health and safety Act, 1993 (Act No. 85 of 1993) (OHS Act), which is administered by the Chief Inspector of Occupational Health and safety of the Department of Labour, requires that electrical installations comply with the requirements of SANS 10142. It also requires that a registered person, as defined (Master installation electrician, installation electrician or electrical tester for single phase), will issue a Certificate of Compliance together with a test report.

The certificate shall be in the form of the Certificate of Compliance published in the Electrical Installation regulations, and the test report shall be in the form of the test report published in the Electrical Installation regulations.`
I wasn't aware that South Africa was a third-world country.

Surely this is why the Niceic Approved contractor is a good thing, you know by using one that they have the correct qualifications, they are assessed once a year, have relevant insurances, use proper test equipment etc etc.
It's got to be a lot safer than using someone without the accreditation surely and is a form of license.
To join NIC all you need is two documents, 18th edition and a cheque ,they don't care what training you have they charge you for that later on

I wasn't aware that South Africa was a third-world country.
Some of SA may be but not all of it, now Sierra Leone Rwanda now there are third world countries. I know I have been to both, and it wasn't only the electrics that scared me.

Some of SA may be but not all of it, now Sierra Leone Rwanda now there are third world countries. I know I have been to both, and it wasn't only the electrics that scared me.
It's THE South Africa I'm talking about. Huge unemployment and poverty, lawlessness and crime, corrupt police etc it ticks all the boxes

It's THE South Africa I'm talking about. Huge unemployment and poverty, lawlessness and crime, corrupt police etc it ticks all the boxes
Oh right not the Cape Town, Pretoria then? understand a bit more now, it was only those places I visited in SA, a bit naive of me not to think of the Hinterland, and Townships, sorry Mate, no offence meant.

Oh right not the Cape Town, Pretoria then? understand a bit more now, it was only those places I visited in SA, a bit naive of me not to think of the Hinterland, and Townships, sorry Mate, no offence meant.
None taken Pete, there's nothing you can say to offend me

I come from there, why not visit and form your own impression?
There are very few parts of the world I haven't been to. (Indeed I've lived in Europe, the Middle East and Australasia.) I never suggested that RSA was without its problems but I wouldn't consider it to be a third-world country.

There are very few parts of the world I haven't been to. (Indeed I've lived in Europe, the Middle East and Australasia.) I never suggested that RSA was without its problems but I wouldn't consider it to be a third-world country.
Oops duplicate post

Last edited:

A large proportion of South Africans are very poor in the way you would think of a so-called typical “Third World” nations.

These people live in slums and shanty towns, many are unemployed and the few that are lucky enough to find employment are often exploited on the farms and in the factories.

They can scarcely afford food, and many of their informal settlements do not have basic infrastructure such as clean running water, electricity, sanitation and even elementary education.

A larger portion of South Africa's population is very poor. As already said all the boxes are ticked, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeh it's about the same here in England and we are a third world country, well soon will be anyway. I suppose the equivalent over here is someone like me an approved contractor licensed for third party and EICR through the best scheme in England Stroma. There are some others but they aint a patch on Stroma. It's only the best get into fully approved and third party EICR level.:cool:

Yeh it's about the same here in England and we are a third world country, well soon will be anyway. I suppose the equivalent over here is someone like me an approved contractor licensed for third party and EICR through the best scheme in England Stroma. There are some others but they aint a patch on Stroma. It's only the best get into fully approved and third party EICR level.:cool:
When you have two million aids orphans living in the streets with no welfare option's and hundreds of farmers murdered perhaps you'll be able to relate

When you have two million aids orphans living in the streets
Whoaa! hang on there the original post was about technical standards not social infrastructure. When I said it is about the same here I meant the same way the original post refers to, technical matters. And anyway my post was really by way of a riposte to another member who beleives they are the bees knees because they are a member of a scheme that believes it is the foremost scheme, looks like it's members do as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Electrical compliance in first world is not as good as the third world in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net