Discuss Electrical/Decorating question :S in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yipee458

Hi, I have had my bedroom ceiling plaster and will be fitting spotlights. My question is that if I should paint the ceiling first then drill the holes for the lights or should I fit the lights and paint around them. Please help, and hope this is the right forum for this type of query

OP
Y

yipee458

Paint the ceiling 1st, you may have to touch up later but it's much easier this way
should i paint the ceiling with the holes for lights cut out or paint then cut the holes?

OP

1shortcircuit

If it was me I would cut holes, paint then fit downlights but that's because I use a chalk line to do my marking out.

If you're flash then you may have a laser level that helps you mark out.

OP
Y

yipee458

If it was me I would cut holes, paint then fit downlights but that's because I use a chalk line to do my marking out.

what I am thinking is the drilling of holes will put dust on the painted ceiling?

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Hi, I have had my bedroom ceiling plaster and will be fitting spotlights. My question is that if I should paint the ceiling first then drill the holes for the lights or should I fit the lights and paint around them. Please help, and hope this is the right forum for this type of query
My first question is this...
Are you an electrician, or a DIY'er wanting to change a single pendant lamp for a spots?

Secondly, if you are a DIY'er, are you competent to carry out this work?

OP
Y

yipee458

As i have said on another forum I started that I am doing the work as much of the work I am allowed to like paint and drill the holes to save some money, but professionals will do the wiring etc

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
As i have said on another forum I started that I am doing the work as much of the work I am allowed to like paint and drill the holes to save some money, but professionals will do the wiring etc
Fair enough. I haven't read any other forums you have started so wasn't aware...
If you are getting professionals to do the wiring then it is always a good idea to liaise with them about positioning anyway, in case there are wiring constraints in the loft.
Provided there are none, then do as trev suggested. :)

vaughant

Regular EF Member
What i did in my kitchen which was a run of 7/8 metres was to mark up as the lads said with the laser etc then I actually wired in the lights,drilled a small pilot hole where the lights should be,switched the lights on for a second or two to see they were in the right place then used the hole cutter to get them finished.
I was lucky though that it was a flat roof with no storey above it hence not needing fire rated fittings at the time,may do now though.
Domestics not really my bag though and I'm sure there was a better way of doing it but the lights work fine,very very rarely blow a bulb on standard 50w gu10 halogens (about 3 in 4 years) and all line up correctly.
my main concern was drilling through a big hole in slightly the wrong place and messing up the ceiling etc.

OP

1shortcircuit

How ironic,I just noticed 2 blown bulbs,that'll serve me right!!!!

Looks like you could do with a few more sockets to lose the extension lead ;) lol

Nice kitchen & interesting spacing used on the lights... unless it's my eyes:D

:thumbsup

OP

1shortcircuit

I'd like to know where all the sockets are. I can make out two positions at the moment and possibly a third hidden in the cupboard next to the cooker lol

vaughant

Regular EF Member
I'd like to know where all the sockets are. I can make out two positions at the moment and possibly a third hidden in the cupboard next to the cooker lol
Good eh?
Itll take a long time to find them,their not there!!!!
i was going to use those pop up ones wired via ring system(which is channelled in place) but now I'm not so sure as they had some bad reviews?
like I said,domestics not my think but I really don't want to have any visible sockets.the only thing we really use electrically in the kitchen that needs plugging in is the microwave,but I've put wiring into each corner so I've got options.
As for the water cooler it's work in progress but aside from the work tops it's all my own work and I'm proud of it,not had anything but good comments when people see it.
Thats only 2/3rds of the kitchen as well plus a 4 metre utility room on the side,41 cabinets in all yet they still somehow all get filled with crap on the work tops!!!!

vaughant

Regular EF Member
As for the spacing yes it does look a bit odd from certain angles but it's pretty spot on,iirc there is one different to the others although I'm not sure why,it was 5 years ago now!!!they were all measured identically,the issue was that the walls are nowhere near square as its an extension obviously not built bang on,there's about an inch out from one end to the other which in a 5 metre work top run really caught me out.
Thankfully the work top man was spot on and used his magic to line it all up.
ive seen way worse pro installs but way better,suppose its the same with any trade.

sparks1973

Regular EF Member

nowt wrong with a chalk line...i dont entirely trust lasers anyway....there alright most of the time but it only takes for the site `yeti` to come clomping round just after you`v got it set up.....
anyway..talking of leccy and decorating...i`m sure there was a thread in here once with a C/U that had been `wallpapered` to match the surroundings....i`v seen em splashed with emulsion quite a bit.....

Last edited:

Archy Styrigg

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
nowt wrong with a chalk line...i dont entirely trust lasers anyway....there alright most of the time but it only takes for the site `yeti` to come clomping round just after you`v got it set up.....
anyway..talking od leccy and decorating...i`m sure there was a thread in here once with a C/U that had been `wallpapered` to match the surroundings....i`v seen em splashed with emulsion quite a bit.....
Mine's decorated with dust & cobwebs to match its surroundings. :)

Archy Styrigg

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
1: I can't be ar$ed,
2: Don't think I dare, to compare it with some of the quality CU numbers I've seen on here!

I'll leave them skeletons sleeping...

sparks1973

Regular EF Member
1: I can't be ar$ed,
2: Don't think I dare, to compare it with some of the quality CU numbers I've seen on here!

I'll leave them skeletons sleeping...
quality C/U numbers eh Archy...where did in here you see them then?...:confused::laugh3:
...`well...if it works` n all that...lol..

Thomas123

Regular EF Member
As for the spacing yes it does look a bit odd from certain angles but it's pretty spot on,iirc there is one different to the others although I'm not sure why,it was 5 years ago now!!!they were all measured identically,the issue was that the walls are nowhere near square as its an extension obviously not built bang on,there's about an inch out from one end to the other which in a 5 metre work top run really caught me out.
Thankfully the work top man was spot on and used his magic to line it all up.
ive seen way worse pro installs but way better,suppose its the same with any trade.
They don't look spot on to me,

vaughant

Regular EF Member
They don't look spot on to me,
Like I said its not easy to judge via my pictures but there's definitely one out,I honestly can't remember why but it was something to do with a joist or pipe,I'm really not that sure,it worked out nicely in the end as it gave a touch more light onto the entrance between to the two parts of the main kitchen.

As for the rad guilty as charged but purely as a quick fix to prove they worked,yet sadly working away with far more important jobs to do the quick fix has stayed,all new pipes and boxing to go in......

One day!!!!
its a big house and therefore takes more time to do,plus we keep changing our minds about what's best.
And I've been known to suffer from lazy-it-is!!!!

trev

Regular EF Member
Like I said its not easy to judge via my pictures but there's definitely one out,I honestly can't remember why but it was something to do with a joist or pipe,I'm really not that sure,it worked out nicely in the end as it gave a touch more light onto the entrance between to the two parts of the main kitchen.

As for the rad guilty as charged but purely as a quick fix to prove they worked,yet sadly working away with far more important jobs to do the quick fix has stayed,all new pipes and boxing to go in......

One day!!!!
its a big house and therefore takes more time to do,plus we keep changing our minds about what's best.
And I've been known to suffer from lazy-it-is!!!!
What's that old saying about cobblers children going barefoot:)
I should add that I have no room to talk

Marvo

Admin and gender confused
Staff member
Admin
Nice looking setup you have there, looks very suave apart from the PVC overload in the corner caused by the water chiller.

Nice doggy by the way :)

vaughant

Regular EF Member
Nice looking setup you have there, looks very suave apart from the PVC overload in the corner caused by the water chiller.

Nice doggy by the way :)
Cheers man yeah the water chiller is pants,It used to get hidden by the curtains but doggy destroyed them!!!!
yes she's very cute,10 now but still looks like a puppy to be fair,cleverest animal I've ever come across,if she could speak we'd all be answering to her.
Two close ups!!!

Not sure what their reputation is in south Africa but they get a lot of bad press here due to chav's trying to make them "hard".
they are tough as old boots but people forget they were bred to tenderise the meat of prize cows as they went into market hence don't really have the fear gene in them anyway!!!
Best dogs around kids as well,recommended by the kennel club.
Bellas my first pet aged 36 but I'll be heartbroken when she goes.
How off topic are we now,guilty as charged.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I've been in this house since 2008 & still haven't filled the chases I cut in the walls to do the rewire!!
obviously awaiting additional cabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.5%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.