Discuss Electrical/Decorating question :S in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

yipee458

Hi, I have had my bedroom ceiling plaster and will be fitting spotlights. My question is that if I should paint the ceiling first then drill the holes for the lights or should I fit the lights and paint around them. Please help, and hope this is the right forum for this type of query

If it was me I would cut holes, paint then fit downlights but that's because I use a chalk line to do my marking out.

If you're flash then you may have a laser level that helps you mark out.

If it was me I would cut holes, paint then fit downlights but that's because I use a chalk line to do my marking out.

what I am thinking is the drilling of holes will put dust on the painted ceiling?

Hi, I have had my bedroom ceiling plaster and will be fitting spotlights. My question is that if I should paint the ceiling first then drill the holes for the lights or should I fit the lights and paint around them. Please help, and hope this is the right forum for this type of query

My first question is this...
Are you an electrician, or a DIY'er wanting to change a single pendant lamp for a spots?

Secondly, if you are a DIY'er, are you competent to carry out this work?

As i have said on another forum I started that I am doing the work as much of the work I am allowed to like paint and drill the holes to save some money, but professionals will do the wiring etc

In that case, mark the unpainted ceiling with a chalkline/laser level, cut holes. Then ring spark and while you're waiting get the painting kit out

As i have said on another forum I started that I am doing the work as much of the work I am allowed to like paint and drill the holes to save some money, but professionals will do the wiring etc

Fair enough. I haven't read any other forums you have started so wasn't aware...
If you are getting professionals to do the wiring then it is always a good idea to liaise with them about positioning anyway, in case there are wiring constraints in the loft.
Provided there are none, then do as trev suggested. :)

What i did in my kitchen which was a run of 7/8 metres was to mark up as the lads said with the laser etc then I actually wired in the lights,drilled a small pilot hole where the lights should be,switched the lights on for a second or two to see they were in the right place then used the hole cutter to get them finished.
I was lucky though that it was a flat roof with no storey above it hence not needing fire rated fittings at the time,may do now though.
Domestics not really my bag though and I'm sure there was a better way of doing it but the lights work fine,very very rarely blow a bulb on standard 50w gu10 halogens (about 3 in 4 years) and all line up correctly.
my main concern was drilling through a big hole in slightly the wrong place and messing up the ceiling etc.

How ironic,I just noticed 2 blown bulbs,that'll serve me right!!!!
Electrical/Decorating question :S {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I'd like to know where all the sockets are. I can make out two positions at the moment and possibly a third hidden in the cupboard next to the cooker lol

I'd like to know where all the sockets are. I can make out two positions at the moment and possibly a third hidden in the cupboard next to the cooker lol

Good eh?
Itll take a long time to find them,their not there!!!!
i was going to use those pop up ones wired via ring system(which is channelled in place) but now I'm not so sure as they had some bad reviews?
like I said,domestics not my think but I really don't want to have any visible sockets.the only thing we really use electrically in the kitchen that needs plugging in is the microwave,but I've put wiring into each corner so I've got options.
As for the water cooler it's work in progress but aside from the work tops it's all my own work and I'm proud of it,not had anything but good comments when people see it.
Thats only 2/3rds of the kitchen as well plus a 4 metre utility room on the side,41 cabinets in all yet they still somehow all get filled with crap on the work tops!!!!

As for the spacing yes it does look a bit odd from certain angles but it's pretty spot on,iirc there is one different to the others although I'm not sure why,it was 5 years ago now!!!they were all measured identically,the issue was that the walls are nowhere near square as its an extension obviously not built bang on,there's about an inch out from one end to the other which in a 5 metre work top run really caught me out.
Thankfully the work top man was spot on and used his magic to line it all up.
ive seen way worse pro installs but way better,suppose its the same with any trade.

In that case, mark the unpainted ceiling with a chalkline/laser level, cut holes. Then ring spark and while you're waiting get the painting kit out

I'm glad you posted that.

My builder friend has asked me to fit 20 (yes ... 20) downlights in the ceiling of the kitchen he's building on the back of his house !!!

nowt wrong with a chalk line...i dont entirely trust lasers anyway....there alright most of the time but it only takes for the site `yeti` to come clomping round just after you`v got it set up.....
anyway..talking of leccy and decorating...i`m sure there was a thread in here once with a C/U that had been `wallpapered` to match the surroundings....i`v seen em splashed with emulsion quite a bit.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Electrical/Decorating question :S in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock