Discuss electrical help please in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markco

if a customers boiler has broken and a new boiler is installed i reconnect the new boiler and do a test but do i have to put it on an rcd and upgrade the main bonding or can i just list it under comments on the mwc as i have been told about 3 differant things im confused please many thanks

you wouldnt have to put it on an RCD because it was installed to previous and you will just be reconnected into the FCU/DP switch right ??

the bonding is a grey area - it should definatly be cross bonded (easy enough to do). If the main bonding is in 6mm it can be left as is it is and a note made on the cert. always better to upgrade but not alway practically possible

As you are the last person responsible for messing with that persons electrics you should leave it in an acceptable state but only the stuff that you touch. A boiler is not a piece of portable equipment unless you want a bad back so you're not supplying a new circuit ( anything controlled by its own fuse) If it's in the kitchen you might have to notify LABC. If it doesn't have an RCD to start with why 8ugger about fitting one? PLEASE though do your supp bonding

wot if there is no main bonding at all and i phoned my govening body and they said put it on an rcd as i was the last one to touch it,thanks for helping anyway

i would recomend doing the bonding and fitting a rcd after all as your the last to mess with it just becaue it would cost u a few bob or because u couldnt be arsed when the council told u to trythis for size 15 yrs in the nick if things went wrong and you didnt do eveything possible in a court of law

i would recomend doing the bonding and fitting a rcd after all as your the last to mess with it just becaue it would cost u a few bob or because u couldnt be arsed when the council told u to trythis for size 15 yrs in the nick if things went wrong and you didnt do eveything possible in a court of law

But all your doing is connecting the flex from the boiler into the FCU, so y the RCD?? BS7671 states that you cant leave it in a worse state, which your not, and your not altering the wiring or characteristics of the circuit.

As regards bonding - I would certainly throw some 10mm to the Gas and Water. and cross bond at the boiler

You would test the Zs at the spur and make sure it was in spec with the allowed value given by BS 7671-2008 for the protective device installed at the source. At least then you would know if it was going to operate the device within 0.4s for TN or 0.2 for TT should a fault condition arise.
There are multiple factors when carrying out these types of work, type of supply at origin, type of device for the circuit, bonding conductor size and so it goes on.
If you were carrying this job out under the NICEIC guidelines you would also have to complete a minor works certificate which asks you all these questions to keep you on the right side of the law.
Hope this helps or confuses ??

Reply to electrical help please in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock