• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Electrical Inspections , who can and who cannot? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

mr smith

EF Member
Anyone settle this argument..
Any competent person can inspect and test and issue certs.
Having the 2391 , full apprenticeship and NVQ's.
You don't have to be in the competent schemes.

Thoughts???

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
Any competent person can Inspect and Test (qualifications are not required).
Building Regulations refer to construction, not surveying, inspecting or testing.
So no, being a member of a CPS is not required.

ruston

Respected Member
Competence refers to all electrical work - which testing is a part of.
look in definitions in BS 7671 under Instructed Persons and see note 2.

mr smith

EF Member
Thanks lads.
I read on here that you also needed to be part of the competent persons scheme but I cannot find anywhere that says that you do.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
Thanks lads.
I read on here that you also needed to be part of the competent persons scheme but I cannot find anywhere that says that you do.
that is because you don't., unless the customer specifies it as a requirement of the contract.

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
Thanks lads.
Some organisations, will only accept Reports from people registered with a scheme.
I once made a Report for someone who wanted to lease their property to a Local Council.
They would not accept my report because I was not registered with the NICEIC.
I spoke to them on the phone, and they amended it to being registered with any of the organisations approved by the government to run Part P schemes.
So rather than my 9 page EICR, they accepted a Visual Report from someone registered with the NICEIC for Part P.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
Some organisations, will only accept Reports from people registered with a scheme.
I once made a Report for someone who wanted to lease their property to a Local Council.
I spoke to them on the phone, and they amended it to being registered with any of the organisations approved by the government to run Part P schemes.
So rather than my 9 page EICR, they accepted a Visual Report from someone registered with the NICEIC for Part P.
it's bloody daft, innit. a 5ww who's paid into the scam/s gets the work over an apprentice trained skilled electrician who has forgotten more than he's learnt.

ruston

Respected Member
You need to be part of a competent persons scheme if you wish to notify to building control your own work.
There are other routes , but self certification is the most viable if you are in domestic installation work.
Inspection and Testing is not installation work and is not notifiable.
If you have the green 17th edition of BS 7671 it defines a competent person for you.

ruston

Respected Member
Going back to when it all first started I seem to remember John Prescott outlawing that after a hue and cry about it.
I must admit I have had the same experience as you.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
Going back to when it all first started I seem to remember John Prescott outlawing that after a hue and cry about it.
I must admit I have had the same experience as you.
i remember that, but then prescott got distracted , punching farmers and installing bus lanes on motorways.

ruston

Respected Member
i remember that, but then prescott got distracted , punching farmers and installing bus lanes on motorways.
Yes , I think he had to resign and it died the death. Wasn't there a hue and cry about Council contracts only being awarded to Certain (sic) members.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
isn't that a basis of a labour party manisfesto.... we give contracts to our buddies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.