Discuss Electrical panel in a closet in a closet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

codys21

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. First post here. And that's not a typo in the subject line. I am finishing part of my basement to put in a new master bedroom, bathroom, and closet. I was planning on putting the panel in the walk-in closet but enclosing it in a full enclosure of the appropriate size (floor to ceiling, 30" wide, 36" deep), but the inspector said that is not allowable because the panel would be in a closet in a closet and since the outer closet is a clothes closet, the panel is still in the "vicinity" of ignitable materials. I don't quite understand this since there will be a solid layer of finished wall between the panel and any ignitable materials. Thoughts?

I then came up with a second idea to still create a "subcloset"; however, this time, it would have a small door leading directly to the bedroom. The panel would still have the appropriate clearance, but to get to that clearance, the "hallway" (about 3' long) would only be about 18" wide. Without me providing exact dimensions of the door, the inspector approved this idea via email but said the door to the panel must be at least 24" wide. Is this correct? Would this separate closet need a door of at least 24"?

Thanks!

Hello, everyone. First post here. And that's not a typo in the subject line. I am finishing part of my basement to put in a new master bedroom, bathroom, and closet. I was planning on putting the panel in the walk-in closet but enclosing it in a full enclosure of the appropriate size (floor to ceiling, 30" wide, 36" deep), but the inspector said that is not allowable because the panel would be in a closet in a closet and since the outer closet is a clothes closet, the panel is still in the "vicinity" of ignitable materials. I don't quite understand this since there will be a solid layer of finished wall between the panel and any ignitable materials. Thoughts?

I then came up with a second idea to still create a "subcloset"; however, this time, it would have a small door leading directly to the bedroom. The panel would still have the appropriate clearance, but to get to that clearance, the "hallway" (about 3' long) would only be about 18" wide. Without me providing exact dimensions of the door, the inspector approved this idea via email but said the door to the panel must be at least 24" wide. Is this correct? Would this separate closet need a door of at least 24"?

Thanks!
What if the closet for the panel in other closet was made from fire resistant materials?

Thanks!
is this a new build / new supply / full refirb of property or swapping existing board for new.

Good question. The house itself is about 15 years old with an unfinished, but wide open basement. My wife and I are finishing half of the basement to put in a larger master bedroom, bathroom, closet. All walls are framed, and plumbing and electrical is completely finished. Had the electrical inspector over and found out panels cannot be in closets and the enclosure we were planning on building will not suffice.

Good question. The house itself is about 15 years old with an unfinished, but wide open basement. My wife and I are finishing half of the basement to put in a larger master bedroom, bathroom, closet. All walls are framed, and plumbing and electrical is completely finished. Had the electrical inspector over and found out panels cannot be in closets and the enclosure we were planning on building will not suffice.
Sorry codys21. Just realised your in the USA. No sure on the regs over the pond. One of our American sparkies will be along shortly to help no doubt.

Reply to Electrical panel in a closet in a closet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net