Discuss Electrical Testing in the field in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all,

Before you read anymore I'd like to just say I'm currently a student doing computer science at Aberystwyth. What I want to do for my final year project is develop some software for laptops that you can use when doing your electrical testing so that it can send off templates straight away and mean you don't have to write everything down onto paper and copy it across later.

I know the rules of this forum are saying I must not be here for commercial purposes - I am not, I am here for educational purposes only.

If people are happy to help me out with talking to me about how you personally go about electrical testing, how you capture the data etc. Please let me know, I'm looking for a few volunteers to say how you do it currently.

I'd also like some input from people on this forum about what issues you have with electrical testing. What doesn't work for you? What's annoying? What could save time etc. I'm well aware that there are software packages out there already such as EasyCert - Does anyone currently use this? If you do and have problems with it or improvements I would be very interested in hearing back from you.

If you're interested in me contacting you, please leave a message here and I'll get back to you. I am located in Hampshire/Berkshire during the summer holidays but in Wales (Ceredigion) during term time, so it may have to be via phone/email conversation. When I have developed the software to do what I want, I would be willing to give it to the volunteers for free - no charge or catch with this. The only thing I would ask for back is some feedback so you could become my 'user testers' for my final year project.

If anyone has any objections or questions don't hesitate to post a reply.

Many thanks for your time all

James

Note - Would it be possible to put down an email address or company name/contact info for you so when I write it up in my project it looks professional.

Download easy cert, and use that to guide you. That's what an electrician would want, something similar to that.

Well when your on site with tester around your neck tools ladders pen and pad I've got no more hands to carry laptop lol besides havnt ever been given lap top with the firms I've worked for

I use the pen and paper method myself was just wondering why the guys who use laptops need 3rd party software

Many thanks for all your contributions so far everyone.

The more feedback/functionality you would wish to include within it the better.

It isn't going to be created within the next 6 months - I'm still within the planning stage. I have just decided to do some 'market research' over the summer to find out what I should be aiming for.

But rest assured I will be checking here as often as I can.

James

Post up as many of the features as you feel safe to disclose mate, that way you can get the opinions of the guys at the sharp end and tailor it a bit

In theory it will be an application that enables input in an easy to manage way.

There will be options to input into different templates (I believe there are different templates you would need for a generic 'testing template' application - but I'm unsure what these would be right now. EasyCert has a few but I need to look into these a bit more)

The ability to upload a scanned signature into the template. The ability to upload your company logo - which will hopefully auto-resize it to the appropriate size otherwise it'll cause users hassle sorting it out.

The ability to edit the template in a logical way to get it how you want it. IE - looking at how I've done it and realise what you need to do to change it.

Flexibility

Maybe cross platform? I haven't decided/researched this much yet. But definitely 100% an application for WINDOWS laptops/computers.

A lot of it is down to preference and little things that you personally would like in there. I'm not an electrician so it's almost down to the users to have the things like the signature/logo being put in.

Would you like it to be able to email to a customer directly from the program? (Not sure this is 100% available though)

Would you like to be able to save as .doc and .pdf? Keep the data stored somewhere in a storage file to be used in possible upgrades later? I really don't know somethings that will probably end up in it yet, it's a case of dipping my toes in the water to find out the temperature before diving in.

James

..... I have just decided to do some 'market research' over the summer to find out what I should be aiming for.

Have you actually identified a need for this type of software? Looking at the replies nearly everyone uses pen and paper/smoke packet when on-site even though similar software products are already available.

I have spoken to several people already in real life who would be interested in some software that does this. Whether the software already exists or not isn't crucial for my project.

Thanks for your input though - I know some people use pen/pad and having seen some responses on this thread alone it looks like some people would use something like what I'm proposing as long as it was fit for purpose and easy enough to do.

Have you actually identified a need for this type of software? Looking at the replies nearly everyone uses pen and paper/smoke packet when on-site even though similar software products are already available.

I use the Amtech S/W, its not brilliant and as others have said inputting is slow. The reason i have software of this type is for the presentation of certs, an electronic copy for me and a database of certs i have done with reminders of when they are due again. There are other benefits like on Zs max for various breakers and validation but TBH the validation is a but too ---- and means you have to enter into boxes that really should be blank, this can be annoying so most of my certs fail validation according to amtech but at least i know why and can ignore.

You need to be able to save to PDF because in my case most of the work I do I email invoices and PAT records so it has to be PDF because anybody can open/use/print it plus you cannot tamper with it and it does not carry any viruses

Thanks for the input - especially about the database with reminders. That makes a lot of sense and could be something I'll look to implement. Obviously it wouldn't make you use it - it would be entirely optional.

I would definitely have a PDF version of the template - but considering having a doc too - that way you can go in and manually edit it should there be any hiccups.

Having a laptop on site sounds good but a lot of guys work on their own so software like this would be targeted at companies who send 2 guys in to a job hence why the sole trader will go and write down the details then do the docs later.

I forgot to add that dont get involved with the scheme providers or Schemies as I call them because they will want a cut of anything you make if you want them to endorse your product. Best thing to do is get generic copies of the certification shape your software then tweak it then sell it a a cost effective price that suits you and the user. Remember times are hard just now and guys are getting hit with a lot of costs ie changed to the regs C&G certification plus Schemie fees

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a laptop on site sounds good but a lot of guys work on their own so software like this would be targeted at companies who send 2 guys in to a job hence why the sole trader will go and write down the details then do the docs later

Is there nothing that could be done so the sole trader could use it on their own? I understand that 2 people testing can have one inputting results while the other reads them out - but a sole trader could have a laptop down instead of writing on paper?

One of the issues working on your own on site is things go for a "walk" (most noteably tools, but a laptop would be equally interesting fodder for a thief). Security would then dictate that you now carry your MFT (multi function tester) and the laptop around with you (a netbook would be slightly easier). Also some of the environments we work in can also be quite a dirty/dusty environment for a laptop. Hence my interest in a communications interface to the laptop.

Is there nothing that could be done so the sole trader could use it on their own? I understand that 2 people testing can have one inputting results while the other reads them out - but a sole trader could have a laptop down instead of writing on paper?

Not really as I said I developed a quick check sheet where you get a clip board and fill in the boxes why because I left a couple of jobs where I had to go back as I missed something out so I needed a way of recording all the data plus to optimise my time on the job plus if I had a pound for every time I dropped the clipboard I could buy a laptop but then there would be more risk of me dropping or damaging the laptop so hence why I dont want to lug one around with me .

Just another point to add I have been working with PCs for the past 26 years and I am still amazed that people who use technology just fail to back up their info I have a laptop and PC but I always back up to a memory stick every 2 weeks plus a couple of guys have come on to the forum to say that their laptop or pda has been stolen or is damaged and they have lost all of their info. So I think this has got a lot do do why people have paper copies as for me I have a foot in both camps so if the laptop dies on me one day I have my memory stick

You make a fair point there. I appreciate your responses I really do.

As for the backing up of data - maybe there is a possibility of backing up all the data to a remote location that can be retrieved at a later date should it be needed. Even if it's sending an email to yourself to have copies there - or storing on something like dropbox.

The backing up concept is something I think is a good thing to look at though.

What do you mean exactly?

Would it be better to have an NIC template that works properly - but also a non NIC version? I know you're meant to have done some tests/qualifications to be NIC EIC approved.

Is the problem there that the NIC template isn't supported correctly?

Reply to Electrical Testing in the field in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock