Discuss Electrical wire for electric shower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MalcolmS

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,
I hope you are doing well.
I am asking about the electrical wire. I am in the process of working on the floor across the 1st floor and while the decking is exposed I want to run a wire for future power shower. What wire should I use?
Thanks
Best regards

Cable would be about 8m in total
The power shower - standard 240V
The cable would run in the void under the floor
I have no idea about other things you mentioned

For all the cost difference now versus having to replace later, put in 10mm cable and have a decent amount of slack at each end.

Somewhere along its route you will need an isolation switch so the shower can be switched off for any maintenance or if faulty, etc. Traditionally that was an adequately rated roof-mounted pull switch (e.g. Crabtree 50A type) but you can have a more conventional switch elsewhere so long as it is suitable for the environment as well as adequately rated.

For now just get the cable in and let any future spark worry about that aspect, but if you are planning building/decorating work then sorting out an expected switch position, etc, early on can save a bit of hassle.

For all the cost difference now versus having to replace later, put in 10mm cable and have a decent amount of slack at each end.

Somewhere along its route you will need an isolation switch so the shower can be switched off for any maintenance or if faulty, etc. Traditionally that was an adequately rated roof-mounted pull switch (e.g. Crabtree 50A type) but you can have a more conventional switch elsewhere so long as it is suitable for the environment as well as adequately rated.

For now just get the cable in and let any future spark worry about that aspect, but if you are planning building/decorating work then sorting out an expected switch position, etc, early on can save a bit of hassle.
Awesome. Thank you. I get the wire sorted in advance.

Just be careful how you run the cable, make sure its routed sensibly with no strain and if run with other cables make sure there is plenty of room and no damaged is caused when pulling in. Avoiding routes where it could be damaged by nails/screws and is not draped over or too close to metal pipe work. It may also require additional support depending on the intended though in most underfloor circumstances there is usually little if any required. Also beware of guidelines regarding drilling through floor joists.

There is guidance available on installation methods and cable routes. My advice would be to look this up before you plan your route.

Post #10 is great advice. You don't want to end up getting an electrician in to fit the shower in the future and him refusing to install it/sign it off because the cable routing doesn't meet regs.

Post #10 is great advice. You don't want to end up getting an electrician in to fit the shower in the future and him refusing to install it/sign it off because the cable routing doesn't meet regs.

Or find that the particulars of this installation mean a relatively expensive length of cable is undersized.

Reply to Electrical wire for electric shower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock