Discuss Electrical Wiring vs Plumbing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Suet33

DIY
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for help with my last question - here's the next one!!

Having our 1930's flat re-wired and re-plumbed. Floors and ceilings are concrete - so wires and pipes are all being chased into walls!

Radiators are currently set very high and have asked for them to be lowered to a standard height - however the electrician is putting the wiring around from socket to socket at a height of approx 10-12 cm and I'm uncertain how the plumbing will be set. Has the electrician left room for the pipes to be set below the wiring - otherwise the rads are not going to be very much lower - unless there is a way of doing this!?!? Can someone help me with the logistics of this - I don't know how everything works!!!

Also - the wiring is being covered with metal capping - I'm guessing this is safe just below/behind a radiator and close to heating pipes??

Electrical Wiring vs Plumbing Electrics 1.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Electrical Wiring vs Plumbing Electrics 2.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Electrical Wiring vs Plumbing Electrics 3.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

So the electrician is not bothering running wiring in prescribed zones then ?

That aside, buried cables under capping and plaster should not suffer greatly from the effects of being close to a radiator.

That's what I thought!!! Isn't it supposed to be 150mm from floor, ceiling or corners??

Is this likely to cause any issues?

Where cables of that type are buried less than 50mm from the surface they must be installed in zones that are formed by the corners of walls and ceilings or in horizontal and vertical zones from accessories. The diagram in the link shows it better.
Where zones are not used the cable (of this type) can be given mechanical protection suitable to prevent nails and screws penetrating. The metal capping used does not provide this protection.

All that said I can't see there being many problems in the future with accidental cable damage, but the runs on walls with no sockets are probably the biggest hazard.

what andy says. horizontal cables must be fixed directly in line with the sockets. (not down, across , and up).
Electrical Wiring vs Plumbing 1569064268060 - EletriciansForums.net

even then. wet-pants will be sure to drill them.

OK - so, where there is a socket on the wall they can go horizontally across the wall at that height - but on a wall with no socket they need to go up, across near the top and then down again - is that correct?

If they are in
[automerge]1569064650[/automerge]
Where zones are not used the cable (of this type) can be given mechanical protection suitable to prevent nails and screws penetrating. The metal capping used does not provide this protection.

What should they be using for this wiring where they have put it?

OK - so, where there is a socket on the wall they can go horizontally across the wall at that height - but on a wall with no socket they need to go up, across near the top and then down again - is that correct?

Yes

What should they be using for this wiring where they have put it?

Not entirely sure as I've never done that, but I'm certain that products exist

I bet your sparky hates this forum by now.

Reply to Electrical Wiring vs Plumbing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock