Discuss Emergency Lighting query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
It's been a while since I tested emergency lights and I just wanted to clarify something.

If the lights not working and the green LED light is off, is this an inverter and if the LED light is off and the lights still not working is this a dead battery?

If the LED is off then more than likely the permanent live is off. Double check the key switch as these are often left in the wrong position.

You need to approach it logically, the first step as in #2 is there actually power at the fitting. If you are just testing them then you state it failed to operate, no charge indication etc...

I realise how poorly that came across, and this is, no doubt another invite for mockery but here goes.. when you perform the annual 3 hr discharge test and your recording failures, is there a way of determining whether the fault is with the Battery or the inverter from a visual point of view without opening up light and using Multi meter? Cheers.

I realise how poorly that came across, and this is, no doubt another invite for mockery but here goes.. when you perform the annual 3 hr discharge test and your recording failures, is there a way of determining whether the fault is with the Battery or the inverter from a visual point of view without opening up light and using Multi meter? Cheers.

No. That is impossible. It could just be the indicator that has failed. Further testing would need to be done to determine the issue.

Just state facts as you know them. Do not put 'charger faulty' unless you know it to be true. All you would know from the inspection is that the charge indicator failed to illuminate after test.

No. That is impossible. It could just be the indicator that has failed. Further testing would need to be done to determine the issue.

Just state facts as you know them. Do not put 'charger faulty' unless you know it to be true. All you would know from the inspection is that the charge indicator failed to illuminate after test.

So just to be clear, you cant tell which part of the emergency light has failed

Are these standard bulkhead type fittings or something else.

I have a site with a few different emergency fittings ; they've been neglected over the years and I've a lot of failures. I want to order in parts as accurately as possible hence the question of telling from observation if its inverter or battery. In the past I've found a dodgy inverter will result in no illumination on green LED light.

I have a site with a few different emergency fittings ; they've been neglected over the years and I've a lot of failures. I want to order in parts as accurately as possible hence the question of telling from observation if its inverter or battery. In the past I've found a dodgy inverter will result in no illumination on green LED light.

If you are taking over the system there is much more to consider than just a 180 minute discharge test and looking at which lights work/charge.

why not just order a new fitting? you could order a new part and its not that part thats faulty its something else so you have wasted time and money and still have a faulty fitting in place. I know the fittings could be old and maybe a strange size but you could surely tell the customer it would be more economic with a new fitting. just my opinion as i have been down the road of getting parts before.

Don't bother ordering parts, order new fittings as it normally works out a lot cheaper.

Reply to Emergency Lighting query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock