Discuss End of halogen light bulbs spells brighter and cleaner future in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They will still be available, only more expensive due to reduced production volume. You might have to take a signed letter from your gecko along to the shop as proof of application.

I have any number of applications for filament light bulbs for which nothing else will do. For the same reason, there is the derogation for entertainment lighting etc, although that victory was a narrow one in the first round of cuts, achieved only by a long campaign by some industry representatives. Thankfully, common sense prevailed. It was accepted that creative lighting is a process used in the manufacture of entertainment rather than just a means of general illumination, and such a process cannot seamlessly transition to a new technology at the drop of a hat.

I’ll admit to not reading the whole article, but does the ban apply to motoring halogen/incandescent lamps as well?

That’ll cause headaches with the MOT changes coming in that also ban retrofit LED headlight lamps in vehicles not designed for them.

It's not applicable to vehicles.

This Regulation shall not apply to light sources and separate control gears specifically tested and approved to operate:

(e) in or on motor vehicles, their trailers and systems, interchangeable towed equipment, components and separate technical units as set out in Regulation (EC) No 661/2009(4), (EU) No 167/2013(5) and (EU) No 168/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council(6);

I’ll admit to not reading the whole article, but does the ban apply to motoring halogen/incandescent lamps as well?

That’ll cause headaches with the MOT changes coming in that also ban retrofit LED headlight lamps in vehicles not designed for them.
can't see it, as vehicle lights do not consume power from the grid. having said that, I've converted to LED, easily obtained as H4 or H7, the most common.

I have any number of applications for filament light bulbs for which nothing else will do. For the same reason, there is the derogation for entertainment lighting etc, although that victory was a narrow one in the first round of cuts, achieved only by a long campaign by some industry representatives. Thankfully, common sense prevailed. It was accepted that creative lighting is a process used in the manufacture of entertainment rather than just a means of general illumination, and such a process cannot seamlessly transition to a new technology at the drop of a hat.
One look at my profile pic will tell you that this is a subject close to my heart! Yes, we (various trade organisations) had to lobby very hard to separate the two things. As it is, as an industry we're transitioning to LED sources at a rate of knots for a whole host of other good reasons, but, there's just some times when you need to point a 5kW tungsten halogen light at something, often dimmed to a lower level just to make use of the 'red shift' that happens in the spectrum to go from white to gold...

I am always dissapointed by the approach of banning the sale. If it were me I would simply tax the inefficient types highly

In principle I fully agree, however the rapid decline in sales tends to make the existing manufacturing and distribution network unworkable and the products get discontinued anyway.

Today’s plans also include a ban from September on the sale of lighting fixtures with fixed bulbs that can’t be replaced – meaning the fixtures have to be thrown away. Fixtures such as these account for 100,000 tonnes of electrical waste every year – out of a total 1.5 million tonnes of electrical waste each year.

The end of sealed can down lights?

I seriously cannot believe these types of fittings were ever allowed in the first place, the waste is shameful and they don’t even last that long anyway, I’ve had to replace loads that have failed after barely a year or two, especially the Downlight type

There are dimmable LED lamps that mimic this. I assume they have red LEDs in the array that dim at a slower rate than the rest.
There are, yes. But still a poor relation to the real thing. Those of us with enough grey hair to remember how to light a stage before we needed a zillion stepper motors also remember how chromacity charts work.

A lot of people who induldge in certain indoor horticultural pursuits find that LEDs can be problematic in providing light from specific parts of spectrum.
Indeed. My tomato plants hate me.

I feel I should be free to use fuels, and lamps as I feel fit, and should not be forced to use electric or LED, if I want to travel by steam train into the local town, once colvid regulations allow I can do. I know 4000 watt per person will allow one to travel as a reasonable speed, the 250 watt allowed for an e-bike is going OTT in the other direction. For some one like me at 22 stone it means using an e-bike from home is not going to cut it.

But lighting is such a small amount of the energy used, not really worth worrying about, gas cooking wastes far more energy in the home to lights, compare energy for gas hob or oven compared with electric plus the safety aspect between induction hobs and gas hobs yes can see why gas hobs should be banned.

Fluorescent lights with electronic ballasts are around 95 lumen per watt, LED between 75 and 110 lumen per watt, largest problem with fluorescent tubes is a 5 foot tube has a fixed output, it was 64 watt, and this was dropped to 58 watt, which with electronic ballast is around 5500 lumen but were used more for spread of light, so in a corridor 22 watt would have been ample.

As to lighting units with non replaceable parts, it seems to depend on the shape. Where I have a BA22d or E27 holder on the ceiling or wall I can plug or screw in a fitting which has the defuser, LED, driver, zigbee controller, and all the LED's in one bulbous package called a bulb for short, last one I bought, well only one I have bought cost £3 from Lidi, and I use it for mood lighting, when it fails I will throw the whole bulb in the bin. On my wall I have a light with like the Smart bulb has every thing built in, but uses a screw to fix it to wall, and a connector block to supply it with power, but in real terms no different to the bulb, except not a screw or bayonet connector.

We have the GX53 bulb holder, it will not take much to make a larger version, which allows lamp change without use of tools. And it seems what they are really saying is the parts which wear out should be replaced with out the need of a tool, but this would also mean the bulk head lamp with a screw to hold the glass on would be banned?

Also people can simply remove the lamp and walk off with it. Some security must be permitted. Even the loo roles are under lock and key.

The biggest problem with LED lights is the smoothing or lack of smoothing, two bulbs, both G9 both with all the control gear built in, this one G9-small.jpghas little or no smoothing, and this one G9-big.jpghas a large electrolytic capacitor to smooth the output, so does not cause a problem with photo sensitive ailments, but there is nothing on the packaging to identify which is which. Being able to open the bulbous package to see which contains the smoothing capacitor could be an advantage, but would it not be easier to simply force the word smoothed or un-smoothed on the package like with have dim-able or non-dim-able written on package?

This has just got me. 284mm R7 in a shaver light has gone, nothing to be found on line (and I'm not going to resort to fleabay) so now I will be skipping all the resources that went into said shaver unit and having to fork out ££'s for a whole new unit, plus my time in buggering about. Good job I know an electrician who's registered for a special location, too, otherwise that could have been even more expense!!!

Reply to End of halogen light bulbs spells brighter and cleaner future in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net