• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss EX-Army Telford newbie fast track course in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting out the Army after 12 years and looking to re-trade to an Electrician. I am about to go on a certificate of competence course part P and 18th edition. I will be qualified by 5th of April and trying to find out the best route to take post course.

Do i look for Electrician improver jobs? Electricians mate jobs? I am struggling to find anyone to take me on in the Telford area as a fast track course 'newbie'.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Michael

you'll have the 18th and part p course (building regs)
ideally you need to get some testing qualifications, start with 2392 and aim for your 2391-52 which covers initial and periodic testing and inspection, it will make you much more attractive to employers.
What were you in the forces? a engineering or technical background is useful.
Experience is key and i would say look for electricians mates/improver jobs to get it. longer term look at the 2365 if funds/time allows.

Why do a testing course if he has no electrical qualifications.

I will be qualified by 5th of April
I wish you luck in your future career, but please do not think that these two simple exams make you anything like qualified.
Part P is a just a building regulation and the "18th Edition" exam only proves that you can find things in a book.

You will need training in the practise of electrical installations, as a start. If you are thinking of domestic work, you'll need to be a member of one of the Competent Person Schemes (NICEIC, etc).
As a starter, look on their websites and see what entry quals you'll need.

Why do a testing course if he has no electrical qualifications.
As he is leaving the forces and ideally looking to get entry roles then a a testing qualification would be useful in my view for initial verification etc and also give him a better understanding of wiring systems etc.. assuming he has the funding credits from the MOD then personally i would be going down the 2365 route which is what i did when they discharged me. i got a job working on commercial refurbs, pubs, cafes, restaurants etc did the 2365 in evenings, got my 17th, 2392 and 2394 as a I went along all paid for via the MOD and SSAFA/RAFBF.

I wonder who is advising you regards entry as an electrician. Sack them anyway.
Morris Services - Getting Started - https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp
Check this as it gives the only ways in as an electrician.
Definitely get in as a mate/improver wherever you can. Advertise in wholesalers (electrical) Have a look at BPEC on the internet. A lot of the trainers there deal with MOD and funding etc. It is much better to say you are doing a 2365 instead of fast track, that is kryptonite to most electricians/firms it wont sell you at all.

I haven't been advised by anybody i am just stating quals i will be receiving and trying to work out how best to get my foot in the door and get experience ASAP!

I will struggle with time and obviously need to get paid i would love to go back to college and do the whole NVQ over 3 year thing but need to support a family and pay the mortgage, its frustrating really is....maybe this is why you get paid so much due to the skills shortage lol

Thank you for your comments so far much appreciated.

Reply to EX-Army Telford newbie fast track course in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock