Discuss Excessive earth fault loop impedance in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I work for a hotel chain and recently we’ve had our 5 yearly test they have 8 circuits from our LV panel with excessive loop impedance readings !! So apart from either introducing an rcd or dropping mcb ratings or type is there any other way of achieving satisfactory readings ??
Also if I have a fuseboard fed from another fuseboard ie a distribution circuit when doing a certificate is the (ze) on the furthest board recorded as a zs I think it’s called a zdb I’m just trying to understand there report as it doesn’t state anything just high loops
Can someone advice me please

Excessive earth fault loop impedance 395BCEB0-7110-44BC-B0DD-69A0583B574E - EletriciansForums.net

it sounds like maybe the Ze is excessive or a fault with main earthing. need far more info to make an accurate diagnosis.
I’m going to the hotel tomorrow to have a look will provide more info then but if it is the ze wouldn’t all the circuits have a high reading ?
Also regarding zdb is the ze from another dB recorded as a zs reading ?
Many thanks for your reply

I’m going to the hotel tomorrow to have a look will provide more info then but if it is the ze wouldn’t all the circuits have a high reading ?
Also regarding zdb is the ze from another dB recorded as a zs reading ?
Many thanks for your reply
yes. your Ze is the EFLI at source of installation.all readings downstream ( after main earth) are Zs. ( sometimes referee to as Zdb at dis. boards. ) these Zs readings are taken with bonding connected, as opposed to the Ze where bonding is not.

Presuming that the LV panel contains mccb’s then It could be that either the maximum zs that the inspector has allowed for the device is incorrect and it actually complies(manufacturer’s data is required) or that the original install , incorrect maximum zs values for the ocpd was incorrectly assumed to comply when in fact it never did.

Or as others have said the Ze is on the high side.
Some results/values of the excessive zs values might help

Last edited:
Another thought, how close is the main DB to the supply transformer and has the tester used a MF meter that is suitable with a high current test facility?
Standard domestic type MF meters can give incorrect Zs readings if close to the supply transformer.

Do you have a previous or better still initial report/certificate? as for your question other than what you posted to overcome this would be the increase of conductor size/additional earth.

Hi sorry for delay I’ve been to the job and they are protected by Berlin gerun BS100N Mccb I have 3 phase 100a and single phase 63a and 32a they are saying max zs is 0.10 for these can anyone confirm or tell me what the max zs is for these many thanks

Excessive earth fault loop impedance 7076F013-1A75-46BF-9B32-FF3DB454EC56 - EletriciansForums.net

Excessive earth fault loop impedance 6F225430-8407-404D-8D8B-4BC206C4AF23 - EletriciansForums.net

Excessive earth fault loop impedance 2F200605-9FA2-4B4B-9A42-BE5AC05E8A39 - EletriciansForums.net

Excessive earth fault loop impedance E0B12D01-F8F6-468E-8F50-A3E81EBF2580 - EletriciansForums.net

Excessive earth fault loop impedance 51A99293-C3AA-4CD2-90DA-1B59E1DD7DDC - EletriciansForums.net

Another thought, how close is the main DB to the supply transformer and has the tester used a MF meter that is suitable with a high current test facility?
Standard domestic type MF meters can give incorrect Zs readings if close to the supply transformer.
Andy, I found this post of yours from four years ago. We (I am the QS) are having some issues with larger (400A -1250A) MCCBs/ACBs having excessive Ze readings. What do you mean when you say MF meter? Is this like a Megger 1711 or something like? [email protected]

Reply to Excessive earth fault loop impedance in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock