Discuss Extension Change over 16th /17th in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

WarrenG

Got an extension to quote for and the existing install is a 16th edition CU. Customer is looking to basically extend the whole house by a third so therefore gives me three floor levels to wire. Customer wants a new CU to the 17th Ed. No previous testing recoards available.

New Wiring roughly:

13 double sockets
7 Lighting points
9 switch points
2 Extraction fans
3 Smoke Alarms

Looking at options for the best way forward.

If I were to extend the existing circuits on each floor then I would obviously do a PIR first and check current loading. But I don't want to open a can of worms if I can help it when the additions go in and the board starts tripping like mad.

Little concerned about the CU change because we all know the slack on the existing cables may not be long enought for new CU (i.e. new MCB/ RCBO/RCD positions). Not really wanting to start joining cables and my work has to be neat otherwise I don't sleep!

Anyone updated a 16th CU to 17th by way of RCBO's? Could be an option?

DNO seals are in place at the moment so may get them out to fit free isolator.

I don't want to over price but at the same time I don't want to cut myself short without including the PIR work involved etc.

Its a slightly different kettle of fish to a complete fresh rewire where you know the full install is going to be electrically sound.

Any comments / recommendations appreciated. :)

Warren

Time you've **** balled around doing a PIR, extending cables etc it will probabily better to do a complete rewire.

Yep I would agree but the family are still living in the property (sword I would never take the route of trying to rewire a property when people are living there again, far to much hassel) and its all about cost and disruption.

I think I may just push for the first step and PIR the current install. Very difficult to price without knowing the existing conditions, especially if extending the current circuit cables would appear to be the logical route.

New to this site, newly qualified sparks & my first post. If you change the CU you will need to test everything as this will change the characteristics of the system.

I wouldn't go for the RCBO board unless you've got deep pockets even cheap RCBOs are what about 30 quid each the board is gonna end up costing about 300 quid! As for length on the cables have a look see if you can raise the board up a bit therefore giving you a bit more on the tails.
With the PIR your just gonna have to tell them thats how it is, even if you ran new circuits for the extension you could still have greif with the old when you changed the board over so theirs no getting out of it. Just hit them up for whatever you normally charge for a PIR explain that it's nesessary and what it does, let them know that it will help to get rid of any nasty extra costs further down the road if their install shows to be sub standard!

If they don't want to go on holiday for weeks while you rewire then I would look at putting the extension on its own CU and give them a price for the new extension, rewire of the main house and a discounted price for the full Monty.

I would try and sell the full Monty on the facts of future proofing the house, putting in smokes & heats- new alarm- lovely down lighting- outside power-adding value to the house e.t.c.

I would tell them that a PIR on the existing wiring is a must as if you are upgrading to a 17th ed con/unit you are taking full responsibility of the whole installation and you need to know its good before anything else is installed, after doing that i would run new circuits to the extension, not forgetting to split the cicuits up for eg upstairs lights with down sockets etc on one rcd and down lights with up sockets etc.

Reply to Extension Change over 16th /17th in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock