Discuss External Power Issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dazza1972

Forgive me folks, I can see the majority on this site are relatively well versed in matters involving electricity. Not me, I'm a complete novice that can change a plug, wall switch or light fitting ... not much else.

My scenario is we have an external cable taking power from our house to an outside shed. Unfortunately, the cable is not long enough to run along all the walls to get to the shed, therefore the previous owner has it running from the house straight to the shed so the cable overhangs between the two buildings... not exactly H+S conscious.... I want to extend the cable so I can run it all around the walls to the shed, thus not having it hanging over anyone who walks past between the wall and the shed!! Plus it looks unsightly and a poor excuse for a washing line!!

What's the easiest way to do this.? Could I install a fuse box to the outside house wall half way along, join the existing wiring into that and then run new wiring from the fuse box along the walls to the shed?

What do I need to take into consideration in regards to installing a fusebox outside? Does it have to be a certain IP rated?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Best advice (considering the admitteded lack of knowledge) is to contact 2-3 different electricians in your area who will discuss the works in question and advise further action + a price.

Takes the 3 different prices, take note of the two prices that are usualy pretty similar, IF (as is usual the case these days) the third price is alot cheaper than the other two throw it in the bin. Contact the electrician wish to do the job and alls good.

During all this remember the works will need a certificate so use a Part P electrician to notify the works.

In summary:- if you limit is wiring a plug or changeing a switchplate.....get an electrician in.

. spot on.

You may find, depending on the distances involved, that it's cheaper to run a new cable over the whole length than install a suitable junction box and shorter length of new cable.

If you get a professional in, he can make sure that the new cable is of the correct type and rating and that it is protected by a suitable fuse or circuit breaker and that all other safety aspects are addressed.

Sounds like a complete lash up and probably won't even be suitable for what you have now. As pointed out, get a couple of quotes. This isn't just about work for sparks, it's about complying with legal requirements and insurance purposes.

Edit: Post your location, you never know one of us may be near.

Bugger legal requirements and insurance it's about making sure someone doesn't get a shock or die ? all this arse covering gets me down..
J

ah, but the powers that be aren't concerned about safety per se. more about revenue raising, just the same as speed cameras.

Bugger legal requirements and insurance it's about making sure someone doesn't get a shock or die ? all this arse covering gets me down..
J
So bugger any notifiable work, sort of agree due to part P being a bag of poo.

As for the insurance, purely hypothetical, but if the OP's house burns down due to an electrical fault not related to this circuit, pound to a pinch of poo his insurance will use a 'non-disclosure' clause to get out of paying any money and the OP ends up on the streets...

As for arse covering, no. Just making the OP aware there's more to the job than just lashing a cable up.

As Terry Pratchet likes to say, 'Bugrit'...

Reply to External Power Issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock