Discuss extra earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

christian

I have a cooker feed (4mm radial), two 2kw heaters inthe kitchen of an extension and conservatory, do i need extra earthing( to pass building regs) at these points, if so what size ? Cheers guys

Hi Christian,

Not entirely sure what you are asking about extra earthing?

Could you elaborate a bit?
Hi jason.I've just started a kitchen extension rewire.I've done the ring with a fan spured off and cooker hood spured off with a 13 amp connection, (seperate spurs).The problem i have jason is two heaters 2kw (16amp 4mm ring on there own circuit) and the 4mm radial for the 2.4kw oven.Now i was 2nd fixing new build flats not long back (2 years) and i remember the heaters were electric and they had a seperate earth aswell as the 4mm twin and earth.Think it was a 6 mm earth.Is this neccessary for it to be signed off or am i being paranoid???I have'nt got my part p and i dont want to fork out £150 for someone to fail it on something i've overlooked ! Thanks for your reply Jason, its appreciated !p.s i'm sure the cooker and hob had one aswell

Hi Christian,

Not entirely sure what you are asking about extra earthing?

Could you elaborate a bit?
Hi jason.I've just started a kitchen extension rewire.I've done the ring with a fan spured off and cooker hood spured off with a 13 amp connection, (seperate spurs).The problem i have jason is two heaters 2kw (16amp 4mm ring on there own circuit) and the 4mm radial for the 2.4kw oven.Now i was 2nd fixing new build flats not long back (2 years) and i remember the heaters were electric and they had a seperate earth aswell as the 4mm twin and earth.Think it was a 6 mm earth.Is this neccessary for it to be signed off or am i being paranoid???I have'nt got my part p and i dont want to fork out £150 for someone to fail it on something i've overlooked ! Thanks for your reply Jason, its appreciated !p.s i'm sure the cooker and hob had one aswell

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey mate.

I see you've got a ring main for your socket outlets, a 4mm radial for the oven, I get a bit confused then as you say you have a 16A 4mm ring for each heater??

The socket outlets and oven are perfect but I would say that a 16A radial for each heater is more than adequate is this what you mean??

I cant see why you would need an additional cpc as the cpc's in the T+E's are more than sufficient.

How long are the circuit runs?? are there any other factors involved??

Let us know.

Cheers.:D

Hey mate.

I see you've got a ring main for your socket outlets, a 4mm radial for the oven, I get a bit confused then as you say you have a 16A 4mm ring for each heater??

The socket outlets and oven are perfect but I would say that a 16A radial for each heater is more than adequate is this what you mean??

I cant see why you would need an additional cpc as the cpc's in the T+E's are more than sufficient.

How long are the circuit runs?? are there any other factors involved??

Let us know.

Cheers.:D
Hi lenny, sorry,it was'nt clear enough was it.The heaters are on the same circuit (ring 4mm).I thought it was odd with the extra cpc in the new builds that i done.The runs are about 6 metres long max ! Cheers lenny

I don't quite understand why some installations have extra cpcs going to equipment. I can only imagine the installers felt the cpc in the cable was undersized or the readings were too high with only one?

I would have thought that two 2kW heaters on one 16A MCB is a bit much, as each heater will draw 8A. In my experience at work that trips the MCB after a short while. Personally, I'd put them on a 20A.

Reply to extra earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock