Discuss Extractor Fan in Downstairs Loo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've been asked to install an extractor fan in a downstairs toilet .
One that sits in the glass of the window. (That part has been done already)
I'm going to look at the job tomorrow so I'm assuming the window is just the glass and doesn't actually open hence the need for the extractor fan?

Will this need an isolator switch outside the toilet, as if it were being installed in a bathroom? Or can it just have it's own pull chord inside?

Is there a MUST for these to be timed units or can it come on and off with the light switch?

Will it need to have a FCU?

Just need clarification on these points as all I can see in the regs in installations in special locations. Although there's a strong possibility that I'm looking in the wrong place!

As always, feedback and help is greatly appreciated.

Most regs regarding extraction fans apply directly to brand new builds. Been ages since I have browsed through all the building regs but I’m sure extraction is all included in there...

@DPG Yes definitely. I did have this in mind.
There's a couple of extra details I need to check before the install such as this.
But won't know until tomorrow.
If you think of anything else . Let me know. Thank you.

Just out of curiosity:
I'm presuming you replace the glass with wood or something, that the fan sits in??? Or do you cut a big hole in the glass??
Doesn't the cable going to these fans look rubbish, if it's on show?

Just out of curiosity:
I'm presuming you replace the glass with wood or something, that the fan sits in??? Or do you cut a big hole in the glass??
Doesn't the cable going to these fans look rubbish, if it's on show?

Yes, the fans that fit in glass always look rubbish.

Yes, the fans that fit in glass always look rubbish.

You actually fit it in the glass? Wasn't sure if the vibration of the fan would cause the glass to crack over time..

@Spoon I have no idea about the installation in to the glass, this has already been completed but yeah, j agree it looks horrible imo!

Not being a domestic guy I was just curious as to how they do it. Love to learn things new.

One thing to bear in mind is that the manufacturer's instructions may stipulate a 3A fuse in the feed.

Which can be ignored as manufacturers instructions are guidance only. The fan should have built in protection, any fuse is to protect the cable, not the fan. The cable fitted to comply with regs must be bigger than rated at 3a. Finally this stipulation cannot be followed in other countries where FCUs are not available nor compliant.

George, it is up to the individual how much notice they take of the manufacturer's instructions. It is not for you to say they can be ignored.

Will this need an isolator switch outside the toilet, as if it were being installed in a bathroom? Or can it just have it's own pull chord inside?
Thomas. Unless the room has a bath or a shower in it (has it?) then if is like any other room. There’s no requirements for a pull CORD.
You can use regular switches.

Actually, contrary to common belief, there is no need to use pull CORDs in bathrooms - providing they are not inside certain zones.

PS a CHORD is played on a piano. It cannot switch on a fan!

Reply to Extractor Fan in Downstairs Loo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock