Discuss Extractor Fan Wiring Query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello All, I have just purchased an extractor fan to fit in my Utility Room and trying to understand the accompanying wiring diagrams.
The unit has an integral Humidistat and Timer.
The 2x wiring options they show are as per drawings attached but I can't understand why, in Diag A, it shows the Humidistat and Timer are disabled when the wiring is basically the same as Diag B but without the switching (or am I not understanding/missing something?)

Hope someone can advise please.Extractor Fan Wiring Query extractor fan wirin - EletriciansForums.net

I think dia A is just showing you the basics of how the fan works, the second Dia is showing how the timer and Humidistat is incorporated in the installation, along with the isolation switch, Best option will be to get an Electrician to wire and certify this work. I assume this fan is to be installed in a room containing a Bath or Shower, and will require RCD protection and notification.

I think dia A is just showing you the basics of how the fan works, the second Dia is showing how the timer and Humidistat is incorporated in the installation, along with the isolation switch, Best option will be to get an Electrician to wire and certify this work. I assume this fan is to be installed in a room containing a Bath or Shower, and will require RCD protection and notification.
trhink OP sed utility room. but diag. B seems the one to follow. don'tforget the pointless 3A fuse.

What is the existing wiring assuming that there was an existing fan? I would stick with diagram A as you don't really need the fan to come on with the utility light.

yes thats correct, I only need the fan to come on when the humidistat detects humidity and stay on until it detects its clear

diagram A is timer and humidistat disabled.

yes thats correct, I only need the fan to come on when the humidistat detects humidity and stay on until it detects its clear
Then if you don't want it to come on with the utility light it is DIAGRAM A.

Diagram A has the switched live input (SL) connected to live - so it will run all the time there's power. If you omit the link so nothing is connected to the SL then it will probably just run on the humidistat - however reliable or otherwise that is.
I mention reliability because I've seen comments in various places that humidistats don't work well. At the moment, we've got really high humidity & temperature - so the fan is likely to run all the time. But adjust it for that, and it won't switch on when outside temperatures are lower and so humidity indoors will be lower as well.
If you connect the SL input to the light as per Dia B then it will probably run when the light is on (with timer run-on), plus when the humidity is high.

Reply to Extractor Fan Wiring Query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock