Discuss Fault find (Electrical condition report) or (Electrical Installation certificate) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have carried out some testing on a existing domestic installation, I was finding a low IR Result on a lighting circuit. I identified and rectified the fault. I am going to carry on the with the testing on the weekend and will be doing the paperwork for my Testing on the install I just wanted to ask someone which of the two, electrical condition report or electrical installation certificate to use, both documents will include schedule of tests, condition report ETC.

I was swaying towards doing a electrical condition report. I would just like to ask and be certain. I've previously in the past tested on new installs and not had to do a condition report yet.

Thanks for the help guys

If you've been asked to do an inspection & test, to generate an EICR, then that is what you should produce.

Any remedial work might also warrant a certificate, either an EIC or minor works, depending on what work was done.

As it’s an existing installation that you’re inspecting and testing, you need to complete an EICR with full schedule of test results.

Faults that you’ve found and rectified, still need to be reported on and coded accordingly.

If you are inspecting and testing an existing installation then it is an EICR.
Inspection and testing of new work carried out is an EIC.

If you have done inspection and testing, and the fault rectification resulting from the inspection and testing then you issue an EICR for the inspection and testing and then issue an EIC (or minor works) for the repair work.

If you have done inspection and testing, and the fault rectification resulting from the inspection and testing then you issue an EICR for the inspection and testing and then issue an EIC (or minor works) for the repair work.
Nice one :thumbsup:

nice one :thumbsup:

If you've been asked to do an inspection & test, to generate an EICR, then that is what you should produce.

Any remedial work might also warrant a certificate, either an EIC or minor works, depending on what work was done.
Hi guys, I have carried out some testing on a existing domestic installation, I was finding a low IR Result on a lighting circuit. I identified and rectified the fault. I am going to carry on the with the testing on the weekend and will be doing the paperwork for my Testing on the install I just wanted to ask someone which of the two, electrical condition report or electrical installation certificate to use, both documents will include schedule of tests, condition report ETC.

I was swaying towards doing a electrical condition report. I would just like to ask and be certain. I've previously in the past tested on new installs and not had to do a condition report yet.

Thanks for the help guys
Sam, if you have altered the circuit in any way, JB or whatever then wouldn't a MNEWCert cover the work, depends I suppose on the extent of the works carried out,

Sam, if you have altered the circuit in any way, JB or whatever then wouldn't a MNEWCert cover the work, depends I suppose on the extent of the works carried out,
All I have done is identified that there was a low reading on my IR on the lighting circuit. I seen that in the switch there was a nip on the side of the L insulation which was caught by the screw screwing the switch back to the metal back box making it a short circuit.

Given how small the nip was I rectified it with some brown insulation tape.

I wanted to record it for testing purposes but I'm not sure if I need to put it on a minor works?

All I have done is identified that there was a low reading on my IR on the lighting circuit. I seen that in the switch there was a nip on the side of the L insulation which was caught by the screw screwing the switch back to the metal back box making it a short circuit.

Given how small the nip was I rectified it with some brown insulation tape.

I wanted to record it for testing purposes but I'm not sure if I need to put it on a minor works?
Would have been better with some brown sleveing Sam, just do a MNEW and note what you have done

:thumbsup: Good shout I will change it for a bit of sleeve.
I suppose in hindsight it would depend on what you were employed to do, rectify the fault OR carry out an EICR if it was the later then complete the EICR cert if the former then In my opinion a MNEWC is the best option , with a caveat that a full EICR should follow ASAP as a matter of importence.

Not sure why any form is necessary.
You will need some form of record Peter the MNEWC is in my opinion is the easiest way forward, if you disagree please tell me your thoughts. Perhaps you have come up with a better solution, other than " is there any need for certification"

Kinda agree with @peterhyper. But as OP has done some testing to locate the fault, then they can be provided. But apart from covering ones arse, does completing a certificate actually achieve ought, not withstanding if the client requests said certificate; I’m referring to my mythical Mrs Miggins, who just stick it in the bin.

Just saying. Do miss that Murdoch bloke, even SMD. :)

You will need some form of record Peter the MNEWC is in my opinion is the easiest way forward, if you disagree please tell me your thoughts. Perhaps you have come up with a better solution, other than " is there any need for certification"
Most of the 'forms for everything' advocates dont actually have to fill the bleeding things in themselves!!
Reading the thread I'm not sure if the OP is carrying out an inspection or responding to a fault call. If the latter I would not provide a form for such a minor repair, assuming the circuit was otherwise satisfactory when re-energised. IMO it should be a given that as a professional electrician the circuit will only be re-energised if it is in a safe condition to do so, a form proves nothing, the fact that the circuit has been re-energised by a professional electrician should be all the 'record' required. Any Tom, Dick or Abdul can fabricate a form.
The electricians invoice will be a 'record' that the circuit was left in a safe condition.

Most of the 'forms for everything' advocates dont actually have to fill the bleeding things in themselves!!
Reading the thread I'm not sure if the OP is carrying out an inspection or responding to a fault call. If the latter I would not provide a form for such a minor repair, assuming the circuit was otherwise satisfactory when re-energised. IMO it should be a given that as a professional electrician the circuit will only be re-energised if it is in a safe condition to do so, a form proves nothing, the fact that the circuit has been re-energised by a professional electrician should be all the 'record' required. Any Tom, Dick or Abdul can fabricate a form.
The electricians invoice will be a 'record' that the circuit was left in a safe condition.
Repairs and maintenance, no cert unless client specifically requests one then charge them, significantly more than the repair to teach the bleeders a lesson.

Some people must walk round with dustbin lids down their pants the fear they have for exposing their ---. Either that or, as said elsewhere, they don't have to fill the damn things in.

Pete, When I attend a fault that is something simple like a poor connection or a faulty switch or socket, I will resolve the fault and do a simple ZS and RCD test and that's it. Tighting a loose wire or replacing a light switch or socket won't get me issuing any type of cert.

I have previously been criticised on here before for not issuing a MWC for replacing a plastic light switch, but I never have or never will. Specific advice has been given to people on here on many occasions who have absolutely no training, qualifications, equipment or basic knowledge of how to perform a number of electrical tasks, and of course they also can't issue any type of certificate, but that appears to be fine, but despite me having the training, qualifications, equipment and more than a basic knowledge, its not okay by some people for me not to issue a certificate for tightening a loose conductor?

I don't ever criticise or care if sparks want to issue a cert for tightening a loose conductor or replacing a plastic light switch, but I never will.

Edit: so to answer the question, there isn't a problem for me to have to find a solution for.

Last edited:

Reply to Fault find (Electrical condition report) or (Electrical Installation certificate) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net