Discuss Faulty driver in mirror light/vanity unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
so a friend has rang me regarding a problem with there vanity unit its the one with a light operated by a sensor and also has a shaver socket outlet on saying none of the two components are working I've not been to look yet but do me it sounds like the driver inside the unit maybe be faulty couple of questions

aslong as theres 230v going to the unit is they any more tests I can out?
is they a way to test to see if its the driver faulty?
could you replace the driver or should I just recommend getting a new unit ?

appreciate any responses thanks

my first thought would be to look for a FCU with a 3A fuse (or with the switch in the off position).

I see you are a trainee but as in #2 if the shaver socket is also non-functional then it sounds like an overall power loss. Start with some fundamental checks such as in #3, check power is present first.

I see you are a trainee but as in #2 if the shaver socket is also non-functional then it sounds like an overall power loss. Start with some fundamental checks such as in #3, check power is present first.
I’m going over Friday so I’ll investigate and see if I can identify the problem I’ll report back and thanks for the reply, if they Is power present what would you suggest?

I’m going over Friday so I’ll investigate and see if I can identify the problem I’ll report back and thanks for the reply, if they Is power present what would you suggest?

If there is power to the cabinet, but it is not reaching the shaver socket, then trace it back from the socket. Note, there will likely be an isolating transformer prior to the socket.

Remember to switch off and confirm dead before touching anything.

In most bathroom cabinets all functions are separate. Heated mirror, shave point, lights. They are all separate entities but all connected together to the mains power in connection point.
if more than one thing is not working, then the power isn’t getting to the mains input.
maybe a wire has become disconnected, or a fuse has blown, or someone has switched off an isolator switch.
A few minutes with a voltage test device will determine this. (please tell me you have a test meter)!

In most bathroom cabinets all functions are separate. Heated mirror, shave point, lights. They are all separate entities but all connected together to the mains power in connection point.
if more than one thing is not working, then the power isn’t getting to the mains input.
maybe a wire has become disconnected, or a fuse has blown, or someone has switched off an isolator switch.
A few minutes with a voltage test device will determine this. (please tell me you have a test meter)!
I have a multi meter don’t worry! I’m hoping there’s a FCU somewhere that isolates the cabinet and go from there hopefully ?

been out today there FCU was switched off ?‍♂️ So got the shaver socket working but with the light I could hear the sensor clicking but lights weren’t working and the fluorescent tubes looked abit black and burnt out so recommended changing the bulbs

Great stuff, if a little embarrassing for the customer. Out of interest where was the FCU?

Reply to Faulty driver in mirror light/vanity unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net