Discuss Faulty LED GU 10's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could shed any light onto this problem. Whilst doing subby work on a bathroom install, the owner of the house asked me to have a quick look at her kitchen lights. There was a 4 lamp spotlight bar type fittings. Apparently shes changed the LED GU10's about 3 times in the last year which of course shouldn't be happening. I didnt really have time to have a look, more of of curiosity, does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? My initial thought was that hte fittings was probably past its best.

Is the fitting designed with LED lamps in mind. Insufficient ventilation may cause the lamps to overheat, and destroy the circuitry?

PS LAP lamps aren't some of the best IMO

I'd put money on it being cheap lamps. Get some decent make ones in there and they'll last for years. Check supply voltage is stable just ot be on safe side.
Daz

Is the fitting designed with LED lamps in mind. Insufficient ventilation may cause the lamps to overheat, and destroy the circuitry?

PS LAP lamps aren't some of the best IMO
I would suggest that the fitting was originally for Halogen GU10's which is why i was thinking that maybe the fitting was causing the problem. Yeah i know the LAP stuff is the budget stuff but im sure the last ones she put in (the third time) were Sylvania.

I'd put money on it being cheap lamps. Get some decent make ones in there and they'll last for years. Check supply voltage is stable just ot be on safe side.
Daz
She reckons that the last lamps were a decent make, cant remember what she said now.... But if they are then surely it must just be the fitting on its way out. Probably been up in that kitchen for years!!!

If there's any doubt about the fitting (bad connection to the lamps, etc.) then it would be worth changing it and fitting a new set of known good lamps. Not STYLVANIA or OSBAM from ebay :)

Reply to Faulty LED GU 10's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net