Discuss Faulty RCD?? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Just done a little kitchen rewire, onto the testing, minor works.
Dead tests are fine, all ok. Power on.
Tried to do ELI... main rcd trips. Check tester, set to no trip... strange. Screen comes up with “trip”
Tried rcd test. Again, trips with same message... doesn’t give me a ms reading. Tried on half I... still trips.
Tried ramp test. Same again.
Red all the tests directly off the rcd in the board with no MCBs connected

the rcd hatripped under fault condition when the joiner plugged in an extension lead he knows “can be dodgy”

So, thoughts?
Faulty rcd in board, or faulty tester?

btw, it’s an Ethos RCD loop combined tester.

Oh, and the kitchen fitter? His name is Kev. I thought they were just a myth.

Faulty RCD?? 84D442E6-6DB7-4F44-A447-7151BE72EC6A - EletriciansForums.net

Disconnect both outgoing live and neutral cables from rcd.
Redo rcd tests.

Could be a n to earth fault hiding somewhere.

Disconnect both outgoing live and neutral cables from rcd.
Redo rcd tests.

Could be a n to earth fault hiding somewhere.

wouldn’t it be tripping anyway with a N-E?
I’m just curious as to why my tester isn’t showing any readings. It’s tripping out quicker than it can read.
I’ll be testing my tester on my own house tonight when I get home.

IR was clear. >200Mohms
I’ve got a spare Wylex rcd that I could swap out and try, but I’ll make sure it’s not the tester first.

Have you done an earth leakage test? Also are all loads disconnected. It may be there is sufficient leakage to find at 15ma that it trips i.e. you have existing earth leakage (cumulative)at 5-10ma. Can you do a ramp test?

I did a ramp test, stated in the OP... but just came up with the “trip” on the screen.
Not tested my tester at home yet cos the wife won’t let me put the power off yet

I did a ramp test, stated in the OP... but just came up with the “trip” on the screen.
Not tested my tester at home yet cos the wife won’t let me put the power off yet
bet Tesla and Edison didn't have wives inhibiting the progress of science.

Reply to Faulty RCD?? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock