Discuss FGS Storad Storage Heater cutout replacement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Any one with experience of the FGS Storad heater range and model numbers (installed in a flat built 1993ish I believe).

Apart from FGS Storad there is no data plate or model number that I can find. I've been called out a couple of times by the landlord for tenants for one of the heaters in the bedroom not working.

The last two times, the cutout had "popped", so popping it back in got it working for a little while last time - but it seems to only last a day or two before going again.

There are still a few replacement parts out there from what I can see, although given I don't know which model I have it's not 100% clear which one I need.

Anyone have a reference or knowledge of the different models - Just realised I don't have a picture of the main heater, but it's storage heater shaped, with black side knobs ?‍♂️ It's a bedroom heater (565mm wide) - so I'd guess the middle of the range wattage wise. They have a smaller Hallway heater and a larger combo convector that still works fine.

The existing cutout looks like this (no markings or part number on naturally)

FGS Storad Storage Heater cutout replacement Cutout - EletriciansForums.net

And the closest match I can find is for the COH 954A range but there are other variants with different part numbers. The Charge Controller on that model does match up with the one that is installed, which seems to work (continuity switches on/off as knob is rotated)

All the wiring seems fine elsewhere, though didn't have my main meter with me to check element resistances (no open circuit though). Doesn't seem to be much that actually goes wrong with these, outside of the thermal cutout.

Can't easily directly replace it if I need to due to the Lot 20 ones needing off-peak and permanent feed. But another option may be to switch it at the CU end to a permanent live and install a standard convection heater.

Anything else I should be checking that I might have missed? It could probably do with a good clean/hoover out so I may pop back this week and jerry rig it to a live feed just to see whether the cutout trips immediately or not...

The normal cause for a cutout tripping is a faulty thermostat. Loose connections to it, or cutout contacts with high resistance will also cause it to trip when it shouldn't though. My general approach if it wasn't something obvious like vents blocked with clothes, is to clean the unit, check all connections and replace both the thermostat and cutout. Most of them come together as a pair anyway. FGS use a lot of parts across several models. Locate the parts you need with the part numbers stamped on them if you don't know the model number.
https://www.electricairespares.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home are great for storage heater spares.

The normal cause for a cutout tripping is a faulty thermostat. Loose connections to it, or cutout contacts with high resistance will also cause it to trip when it shouldn't though. My general approach if it wasn't something obvious like vents blocked with clothes, is to clean the unit, check all connections and replace both the thermostat and cutout. Most of them come together as a pair anyway. FGS use a lot of parts across several models. Locate the parts you need with the part numbers stamped on them if you don't know the model number.
https://www.electricairespares.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home are great for storage heater spares.
That makes sense thanks..

Unfortunately, the cutout didn't have a visible part number on it - though your link seems to have the same cutout for many of the models anyway - I assume it's just a bimetallic strip of some sort. Do they generally go wrong, or are they usually a sign of a failure somewhere else?

The ones on http://www.storageheater.co.uk/storad/storad-coh/coh954a/charge-limiter-cutout.html seem to come with a charge limiter too, just to confuse matters....
http://www.storageheater.co.uk/storad/storad-coh/coh954a/charge-limiter-cutout.html
The "Charge controller" I could identify - That's connected directly to the 'input' knob but seems to contain a thermostat - though some models seem to have another one listed - all the visible connections were fine, to ceramic connector blocks with no signs of heat damage etc. But may well have to take it apart more thoroughly to properly clean it and investigate.

Last edited:
The cutout with charge limiter is what you have in your photo, that is the part to replace. The most likely fault is the charge limiter part not switching off so the overheat cutout then operates.

Reply to FGS Storad Storage Heater cutout replacement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock