Discuss First post, and first request for a little advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

riva79

Hello,

I have a question regarding electrical testing please. I have a transformer charger that the spade connections have come out on the transformer power supply end. The plug is a european two pin that is sealed so I cannot see the wiring at the plug end. At the charger end I have a spade connection marked L and the other is of course the neutral / return. I am obviously not an electrician and would like to know if there is no colour coding on the cables how can i test to see which of the feed wires should be plugged into the live ??

Secondly, on three phase wiring with only an earth and not a neutral, how do you test for voltage?? Is it possible to put the voltmeter probes in to any two of the phases and get a reading? That makes sense to me, but I have not done it before so am a little nervous. I currently work on a yacht that has three phase generators and shore power and have much to learn quickly!!

And finally, can anyone recommend a good electrical testing and training school around the hampshire area.

Kind regards,

Simon

Are the two pins different sizes? From what you describe I'm not sure it's UK compliant Riva.
If you don't know what you're doing you need to not be poking around inside that 3 phase generator. You could try googling training schools in your area but most of the quick courses (from what I can make out) don't teach the students anything on the 3 phase side of things.
Sorry if I come across as negative or peeing on your fireworks mate but better safe than dead

If it is jut a charger transformer, what is the seconray voltage? I am a bit confused with this. It shouldn't have L and N on the output side.

One the first issue i dont understand the set up, so cannot help. If you explain again or have some photos that may help.

Second issue, yes between phases will give you lots of volts and of course its pretty dangerous stuff. Any test gear you use presents you with an opportunity to sample the volts first hand so better let someone with proper gear and knowledge to check that side of things.
I know people do things anyway but do one thing and make sure you are never alone when working on this stuff.

And finally, can anyone recommend a good electrical testing and training school around the hampshire area.

Brian Scaddan Associates in Waterlooville
http://www.brianscaddan.co.uk/default.html

IIRC Brian Scaddan was instrumental in devising many of the exam questions, enjoyed by many budding electricians, asked by C&G. He has also written several definitive books on electrical installation work.

From what I understand, Brian used to write all the questions for the 2391, then they got in a team a few years ago, and the questions all started getting weird and wonderfull.
To answer the OP, you should get 230V between each of the three phases and earth, and 400V between any two of the phases.
As for the charger, could you re-connect the connectors and then using a couple of thin probes, measure the voltage across the two pins of the plug.
What voltage is it you are expecting, and should it be d.c. or a.c.?

Try doing a continuity test on the lead plug end to spade end this way it won't be plugged in and you will be able to come back on here as you won't be dead!! Lol

Reply to First post, and first request for a little advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock