Discuss Fit a downlight into soffit but wasn't wood! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I drilled into a soffit to fit a downlight. The soffit wasn't wood, growing a bit concerned it's asbestos.

Few questions:

1. If it's not wood, what other building material could it be? It's a thin, dry almost plasterboard like sheet.

2. If it were asbestos, would sticking the downlight in the hole created effectively 'plug it' to minimise the danger or is this now disturbed even if the hole's filled?

Appreciate this should've been tested first. The bottom soffit was wood so made an incorrect assumption. I've ordered a testing kit for next day delivery so I can find out either way.

Really appreciate any help.
[automerge]1586778044[/automerge]
I drilled into a soffit to fit a downlight. The soffit wasn't wood, growing a bit concerned it's asbestos.

Few questions:

1. If it's not wood, and not asbestos, what other building material could it be? It's a thin, dry almost plasterboard like sheet.

2. If it were asbestos, would sticking the downlight in the hole created effectively 'plug it' to minimise the danger or is this now disturbed even if the hole's filled?

Appreciate this should've been tested first. The bottom soffit was wood so made an incorrect assumption. I've ordered a testing kit for next day delivery so I can find out either way.

Really appreciate any help.

Holesaw, drilled straight through.

Property is from the early 90s.
[automerge]1586779092[/automerge]
Not sure if anything can be told from it's appearance? As I say, will get it tested asap.

Attachments

• Fit a downlight into soffit but wasn't wood! 20200413_125721 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200413_125721.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 85
As above mate, age is a good indicator, could be wood, plastic or as you say can be asbestos, generally it’s fine if you don’t disturb it but the only sure way is to get it tested if you are that concerned, not sure in the accuracy of a home kit though?

Holesaw, drilled straight through.

Property is from the early 90s.
possible might be a non asbestos .
Asbestos insulating board, also known as "AIB" or by the trade name "Asbestolux", was an asbestos containing board used in the building trade because of its excellent fire resistance and heat insulating properties. These boards were commonly used in the UK from the 1930s up until production was terminated in 1980.

As above mate, age is a good indicator, could be wood, plastic or as you say can be asbestos, generally it’s fine if you don’t disturb it but the only sure way is to get it tested if you are that concerned, not sure in the accuracy of a home kit though?

Should clarify sorry, it's a 'kit' but it's basically a bag you send off so they test it in a lab.

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Assuming it wasn't asbestos for a minute, what other material looks like that?

If it's got sparkly bits in it, it's Superlux or similar, which is NON asbestos and was the replacement for Asbestos sheets.

90's is borderline but less likely to be Asbestos.

Looking at the material in the bag it looks too soft to be Asbestos cement sheeting.

But test to be certain.

Agree with @telectrix mate if it was constructed in the 90’s it would be extremely rare and there’s probably a case against the builder if it is....I would stress a lot of big IFS there though ?

It's too thick to be the old, heat resistant, hard asbestos sheeting as used to be found as the ceilings of boiler houses, etc. A lot of old garage ceilings were done in the stuff. Asbestolux, more like, but still very unlikely at that age, as others have said. It's unusual for housing soffits to be done with asbestos.

almost impossoble to be asbestos if built in 90's

Crysotile was only banned in the UK for use in buildings in 1999 - so 90's isn't a safe bet!

Although as established previously in this thread if it's sparkly, more likely superlux. Fibre cement boards are often used in soffit too.

But yes - generalising it to "the 90's being safe" is a dangerous assumption! (no disrespect intended at all). Was recently involved in boiler house refurb, found asbestos gaskets installed in 1997.

almost impossoble to be asbestos if built in 90's
Agree with @telectrix mate if it was constructed in the 90’s it would be extremely rare and there’s probably a case against the builder if it is....I would stress a lot of big IFS there though ?

Asbestos wasn't fully banned until 1999 so there is every chance that this could be asbestos and no there wouldn't be a case against the builder.

Reply to Fit a downlight into soffit but wasn't wood! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock