Discuss Fitting an outside socket for a hot tub. Notifiable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a job booked to fit outside socket which will be used to power portable hot tub. The socket will be waterproof fed from existing circuit via fused spur which I also going to fit. RCD protected at the fuse board (hot tub has got its own RCD device rated at 10mA)
The question I have is this work notifiable under Part P or Minor Work Cert would be enough?
Does the presence of hot tub( which is portable) in the garden moves my work of simply fitting outside socket into area of special location?

Would like to know your thoughts

Regards

What do the fitting instructions for the tub say? Sounds like you are just fitting a FCU for a 13amp spur to an outside socket on an existing RCD protected circuit. If that’s what the tub is designed to plug in to I would say it’s not notifiable.

What do the fitting instructions for the tub say? Sounds like you are just fitting a FCU for a 13amp spur to an outside socket on an existing RCD protected circuit. If that’s what the tub is designed to plug in to I would say it’s not notifiable.
The hot tub has a standard 13a fused plug. Client hadn't provided any instructions only said they used it in different location connecting to the same socket they want me to install now

You will need to issue an 18th Edition minor works certificate. The work is not notifiable and you are not dealing with a 'special location' as you are only installing the fused spur and weatherproof socket.

I think I'd want to have a look at the spec of the hot tub they plan to plug in and make sure someone hasn't just decided to add a plug to a hot tub designed for a 32A supply.

MWC for the outside socket. fcu may not be necassary, but if fitting one, make sure it's 2 pole so that a fault can be isolated locally. what they plug in to it is of no concern. you are just fitting an outside socket.

I found this article;

https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/63/domestic-electrical-supplies-to-hot-tubs/

Hmmm can't seem to make that link work. Its iet wiring matters issue 63. Refers to Guidance note 7.

Reply to Fitting an outside socket for a hot tub. Notifiable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net