Discuss Fitting solar advice qualifications in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon,

Just looking at expanding my business and getting more into solar. I am part p niceic18th edition which means I can supply new circuit for solar up to the isolator and sign it off. Just wondering what I need to get to fit inverter legally if anything. Do I need to be Mcs accredited or assessed by niceic to add that to my ticket. I have heard that that MSc is not nessercary if not exporting back to the grid.

Any advice would be appreciated
Many thanks

The guy at NAPIT told me MCS registration is only for the actual panels, the inner working like inverter battery etc is covered under electrical installation.

To get MCS you just need to show a proficient install, as per the guy from NAPIT.

The MCS paperwork to register is a nightmare I am slowly working my way through it and its not fun
Once set up its straightforward but takes a while.
whilst protecting people from rogues is a noble cause, it is a bit OTT when it comes to MCS, too much on that and very little on actual installs and electrical knowledge and skills

The MCS paperwork to register is a nightmare I am slowly working my way through it and its not fun
Once set up its straightforward but takes a while.
whilst protecting people from rogues is a noble cause, it is a bit OTT when it comes to MCS, too much on that and very little on actual installs and electrical knowledge and skills
Is there anything about the actual battery/inverter installs on there? The NAPIT guy told me for all intents and purposes they treat panels as their own separate thing from the actual installation itself.

As mentioned the MCS is not devised to be technical proficiency. If your client wants to get any sort of export money from Utility Co, they will want MCS registration.
To install inverters follow the Manufacturers Instructions to the letter and ensure isolation is clearly labelled. Installing panels is more structural than technical, how panels are configured into strings , just use the manufacturers design tools. How panels are fixed, use both panel manufacturers recommended mounting options and make sure they match the panels fixing companies installation methods. Once you have done one , its just same old .....
All the technical information you could ever want is there, so no guessing required, Good Luck

Solar panels can be installed by the homeowner as long as they are not wanting to get paid for exporting. Only certification that is required is an electrical installation for the circuit “which is usually only tested to isolator” and g98 gorm to dno if less than 4kw. manufacturers instructions are crucial and a good roofer to asses roof structure and install rails.

MCS is a big con worse than part p!

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about this area, a daft question cometh...or maybe two...
Aren't feed-in-tariffs now a thing of the past?
In turn, does that mean that customers are unlikely to actually require the installation to be complete by an MCS-certified installer?

It is a good issue. yes FITs (as we knew it are gone), however certain energy providers offer export tariffs, for residential is pretty mean around 3p/KWh , however commercial get better terms, i have heard of 16p/kwh for medium sized commercial. Not all energy providers offer it and there are hoops the energy provider has to jump through to ensure they are not exploiting homeowners but one thing they all appear to stick to is that the installation needs an MCS certifcate. (good way to limit demand, lol)

Good to know, how much for import ?
At moment I’m paying 20p per kWh, but that’s on a 2 year fixed tariff ending in July 2023.
I may not be able to switch til then. Still looking into it.
not sure what the new import tarif is with the 7p per kWh export. It’s something I’m awaiting pending getting my cert from installers.
im guessing it will be 33p per kWh. Basically the government cap.

The feed in tariff is (UK) always less than the price you pay for incoming mains electricity kWh. So try to use and keep your self generated power wherever possible.

I install Eddi units that notice when your solar production is more than your household usage. It tells the ASHP to go mad and use the free power to charge the Sunamp thermal battery. Or get a fancy battery bank

Batteries at £4500 each, I feel are not worth it.

i have a combi for hot water and heating. So I have fitted a 250L water cylinder with two immersions. this cylender will feed all hot water to bathrooms shower and bath. The combi still feeds the kitchen sink.

one immersion run of a solar iboost Set at 75degrees Catching wate exported electric and storing it as hot water.
The other immersion on a timer set to 55 degrees at 7pm til 9 pm. The second immersion should never be used In theory.

right now its working a treat. Even in worst weather day length in December I will generate enough for the water And some.
right now I’m generating 20 kWh per day. exporting average of 10kwh per day and using 10 kWh Per day.

so I’m saving on electric and gas.

solar install 3.6 Kw £5500 fully fitted.

fitting the cylinder cost materials and labour £1500. Did most of this myself with a heating engineer I know. He did the pressurised system part to get the sign off.
thats a lot cheaper than £4500 For a battery.

I used 5kwh of electric per day pretty much all year round. Add an extra 5 kwh I am now using per day to heat the water via the iboost.

10 kWh per day 3650 kWh per year.

my system will generate 3990kwh per year.
obviously i wont get all my usage from my generation alone some will be imported , but I predict minimal import. Maybe 800 to 1000 kWh.

prediction at current prices I am paying at moment I will be saving £272 on gas and electric per year.

On new prices next year if the cap does not go up I will be saving £436. That’s not including any export tariff.

the clincher for me getting this done was it will never be this cheap to get this installed again. Everything is going up. Materials, labour.

also adding solar panels to your home for the first time ever actually increases the value of your home.

Like it ! - My own house is an absolute *astard for mounting panels giving shade free time but i have not given up. My tariff ends next June, by then i should have a plan and implemented it. I may need 1, 2 or 3 inverters and also plan to dump excess into DHW tanks of which i have two. At the moment i can get the panels and some inverters but the roof mounts are Rocking Horse so will probably fabricate my own mounts. In addition i am buying up blankets wholesale as i forsee a shortage in November............😃

On new prices next year if the cap does not go up I will be saving £436. That’s not including any export tariff.
That's the crux - it's going to at least double.

Average energy bills will be £4.1k next year, so lots of households will be paying £5-6k+.

It depends on your household though. If you do most of your heavy lifting in the day time the battery doesn't make much sense.

That's the crux - it's going to at least double.

Average energy bills will be £4.1k next year, so lots of households will be paying £5-6k+.

It depends on your household though. If you do most of your heavy lifting in the day time the battery doesn't make much sense.
Electric @33p per kwh
gas @ 10p per kwh
after my fixed rate.

do you believe that is going to double. Wow! I thought that was high.

so electric 66p
gas 20p
next year.

i Guess these figures are only so low due to the governments cap.

Let’s be honest we have had it easy in this country. We are one of the richest countries in the world. About time we started paying for what we take.
we claim poverty. We don’t know what real poverty is.

I needed to re evaluate what I’m going to save. Just read a few articles.

predicted electric 51p per kwh
predicted gas. 13p per kWh.

next month. (October)

thank goodness for my 2 year fixed rate.

this means I’m saving £695 per year with the panels.

at this rate payback will be 5 or 6 years maybe less if it keeps rising.

anyone thinking of doing this. Don’t think, just do.

Yeah news yesterday said price cap is going up to £4.1k not the previously mentioned £3.2k. It's a disgrace, Eon reported record profits yesterday. Lots of people are going to be bypassing their meters.

Reply to Fitting solar advice qualifications in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock