Discuss Flickering power to half the house in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'll start by saying an electrician is going to be called on this one, but I'm so curious as to what might be going on I just wanted to pick some brains. About 6 months ago, we started getting a little flicker in the all the lights in the house. Nothing big, and didn't think much of it. Slowly, it's gotten worse. It would start to go out long enough (a few seconds) to reset everything (cable box, oven, etc), but a few days ago it started flickering and then dropped out completely. About 1/3rd of the house still had power. I checked the breaker box, and nothing was tripped. So I start going through each breaker, one by one, and cycling each. No change. Then I cycled the main breaker, and everything turns back on.

This happened in the exact same manner again yesterday, but the full power only came back after the SECOND time I cycled the main breaker.

Having a decent background in electronics (but not home electrical), my brain is twisting into a ball trying to think of what could be causing this. We've tried disconnecting everything, starting with the big offenders like the dehumidifier and fans, and nothing seems to make any difference. Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be causing something with these symptoms? Again, a professional electrician will be taking care of this in the near future.

Hello everyone! I'll start by saying an electrician is going to be called on this one, but I'm so curious as to what might be going on I just wanted to pick some brains. About 6 months ago, we started getting a little flicker in the all the lights in the house. Nothing big, and didn't think much of it. Slowly, it's gotten worse. It would start to go out long enough (a few seconds) to reset everything (cable box, oven, etc), but a few days ago it started flickering and then dropped out completely. About 1/3rd of the house still had power. I checked the breaker box, and nothing was tripped. So I start going through each breaker, one by one, and cycling each. No change. Then I cycled the main breaker, and everything turns back on.

This happened in the exact same manner again yesterday, but the full power only came back after the SECOND time I cycled the main breaker.

Having a decent background in electronics (but not home electrical), my brain is twisting into a ball trying to think of what could be causing this. We've tried disconnecting everything, starting with the big offenders like the dehumidifier and fans, and nothing seems to make any difference. Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be causing something with these symptoms? Again, a professional electrician will be taking care of this in the near future.
You obviously are loosing one phase to your panel so as @westward10 mentioned you need to address this immediately. Good luck

Reply to Flickering power to half the house in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net