Discuss Floor sockets + Building Regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

KevinH

-
Reaction score
I am 1st fixing an extension and in one area there is no wall space (glass walls like a sun lounge) for any sockets although customer insists he wants a power point in the corner.
I suggested a floor socket as the floor is due to be insulated and screeded.
The customer sounded happy with that but then he remembered an earlier conversation we had with me trying to explain building regs regarding heights between 450mm and 1200mm for switches/sockets etc on new builds, then he asked a brilliant question.........why do they make floor sockets if anything can't be lower than 450mm?
To be honest I was stuck for an answer and (to save embarrassment) I said the regs only cover WALL accessories.....only answer I could think of and he bought it.
So my question is pretty much the same as my customers. The answer is probably in some literature somewhere, but I thought I would just ask on this site instead.

I put 2 in my conservatory,under the screed-in conduit,didn’t use the normal floor box,just normal ko box,their fine,no regs against that.

Maybe that would require coordination with building control on a new build.

Maybe some area in a new build house is a self contained office.

I have recently installed a couple of socket outlets in a ceiling, 3m above the floor. They are for a dust extraction system and a projector. There is nothing wrong with this, imho, as they are for specific purposes, and will not be used for general things like a hoover or table lamp. Yes, they will be difficult of access for a less-able person, but then they are there for a single purpose, and I absolutely assert my right to put them where they are because they are clearly fit for purpose. Floor-mounted sockets could be deemed to be the same, if they serve a fixed location like an office. I don't care if the leccy police say they should be at a certain height on the wall...so, sue me! If you want to hoover the office, plug the damn thing into a socket that IS at the "correct" height, even if in a different room, hall, corridor, passage.
Floor sockets are more vulnerable to damage and spills, for sure...but hey, lots of sockets are, especially those installed in extractor hoods, or near sinks, even if within the regs. There are good reasons for the height regs, for general use sockets, but there are good reasons for other sockets being installed contrary to those regs.
It should be common sense, but somehow I don't think everyone will agree with me.

I have recently installed a couple of socket outlets in a ceiling, 3m above the floor. They are for a dust extraction system and a projector. There is nothing wrong with this, imho, as they are for specific purposes, and will not be used for general things like a hoover or table lamp. Yes, they will be difficult of access for a less-able person, but then they are there for a single purpose, and I absolutely assert my right to put them where they are because they are clearly fit for purpose. Floor-mounted sockets could be deemed to be the same, if they serve a fixed location like an office. I don't care if the leccy police say they should be at a certain height on the wall...so, sue me! If you want to hoover the office, plug the damn thing into a socket that IS at the "correct" height, even if in a different room, hall, corridor, passage.
Floor sockets are more vulnerable to damage and spills, for sure...but hey, lots of sockets are, especially those installed in extractor hoods, or near sinks, even if within the regs. There are good reasons for the height regs, for general use sockets, but there are good reasons for other sockets being installed contrary to those regs.
It should be common sense, but somehow I don't think everyone will agree with me.
i agree with you . :p:p:p

I think it was a very good question and having no intention of reading part P and its associated junk,its one I can't answer

The junk you require would actually be in Part M!

Having never read any of these "must have" documents I will accept your reply as true and well intentioned
If ever I needed to apply building regs to my work it was always done via what was contained inside my head :)

I did find a useful purpose at one time,they were fine for showing to a scheme assessor once a year

Unlike us mere mortals, the writers of building regulations are unable to apply common sense and those that enforce said regulations need common sense beating into them with the regulations books.

Thanks all! I agree with all comments posted.
So basically the general answer is......bugger this reg as its not practical in some cases!!?? Seems kinda pointless having it eh?

So basically the general answer is......bugger this reg as its not practical in some cases!!?? Seems kinda pointless having it eh?
The reg isn’t pointless, it just needs to be applied correctly using common sense.

I think the key words are "general use". Provided some sockets are sited at the right heights for general use, the odd one placed in an otherwise unusual position doesn't matter.

The “Approved Documents” eg Part P, Part M etc provide guidance on ways that we will be able to comply with the Statutory Legislation.

Socket heights are to provide sufficient access for disabled folk. Install sufficient sockets at the required height and add dome floor sockets.
Double check with you local friendly LABC person. They’ll be fine with it.

Minimum height of the dome is probably less than 1mm...
anything less and it would appear to be flat...
A flat surface would not be a dome, so we are looking at any height that might conceivably be dome-shaped...actually, maybe 0.5mm in the centre might be dome-shaped...well, of course it would technically, as would any height more than 0, but to the human eye/touch, I expect 0.5mm would be a dome to most folks. Indeed, anything giving a quaquaversal plane would be a dome...
Sheesh...all this work for a typo!

Reply to Floor sockets + Building Regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock