Discuss Fluke 1651 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

montybaber

hi there

Been offered one in almost new condition for £300 only thing is the calibration cert has run out.

I have looked online and best price new I have found is around £400inc vat

Am I right in thinking the only real difference to the more expensive models is the auto RCD test sequence

Thanks

what was I thinking!!!:rolleyes: what I should have asked was..... what condiments to have with pie and mash?:confused:

:rolleyes::)

never mind sold now:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got one and it serves its purpose. I was on a limited budget at the time and needed one. Everywhere I read online electricians said that if you can put up without auto RCD and ramp test facilities then its a safe buy so went with it.

Having a bit of a problem this last week with the odd insulation resistance test giving me delayed readings. Usually on a good circuit I get a reading of greater than 500 ohm however once or twice recently I have pressed and held the test button to generate the test and I get a reading of around say 355 ohms then it jumps to 378 then 423 then eventually up to 500V and stays there. Almost like its finding it difficult to find the correct reading.

I have been advised on another forum that its possible that the test leads Fluke supply with the meter can be the cause. I am in the process of tracking down better quality ones as id like to get a couple of years worth out of my 1651 by which time I imagine i'd need a better model.
If anyone can help with links etc to tests leads (1651 compatible) id be grateful as ive not had joy finding alternatives to the original ones fluke supplied me.
Meter and batteries all fine. Meter calibrated etc.

hi mate are you talking about the test voltage the unit supplies or the Mohm readings you got increased from 378to above 500? if its the latter then ive always been led to beleive that this is ok, i used to use an old robin analogue megger and when ins testing (spesh on new builds) the reading would increase and finally settle due to moisture in the actual house wiring, dunno if this is your scenario.

Yes thats exactly what its doing Yorkie mate.

Dunno if your familiar with the multifunction tester im talking about but basically you press and hold the test button after selecting insulation resistance.

In the bottom right hand corner you can see the test voltage climb to 500v and then a reading is displayed in Meg Ohm. The highest possible display you can get is >500V. Once the reading is displayed the test button is released.

On occassions, not very often. I have done the test. Press and held the test button. Bottom right hand display shows test voltage of 500V and then a reading is given, which is around the 350 Meg Ohm mark. Then in almost a split second before you have chance to release the test button it jumps to over 400 Meg Ohm, then again to maybe around 430 then onto around 470 before finally finishing and stabilising at >500Meg Ohm.

I am curious as to why in some cases it finds the true reading instantly and other times needs to scale there.

I was worried in case there is a fault with the meter or leads. Its relatively new and would like to feel confident using it again.
As I say it came with a full calibration certificate complete with all calibration test results.

Its good to hear you have seen this sort of thing before Yorkie. Even if it was with analogue meters. Maybe its not panic stations just yet. I dont mind shelling out on a decent set of leads if the fluke ones arent the best, if it means getting my moneys worth and a few happy years work out of the meter.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah ive got the 1652 now and i get this quite often, i could be wrong but i think you hold the test button in and wait for the 3 beeps to finish then that figure is generally the one you record, but it does and often does keep climbing till it reaches over 500m ohms. i dont think its anything to worry about as ive just tested mine on me test box and everything is ok so should be ok for you.

Thanks for that mate, I feel better now.

The tester has been calibrated and the batteries tested fine.

Cheers pal.

Reply to Fluke 1651 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock