Discuss Fuse Box/Fuse board - supply and fit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello
I need advice on how much approx a new fusebox will cost to supply and fit - I am advised my original one needs replacing - see attached image. Thank you for any advice..

FUSEBOX.jpg

Who advised you that your Consumers Unit requires replacement and more importantly why ? have you had a recent EICR Electrical Installation Condition Report done? Sorry Den welcome along for got my manners.

Who advised you that your Consumers Unit requires replacement and more importantly why ? have you had a recent EICR Electrical Installation Condition Report done? Sorry Den welcome along for got my manners.
Thank you for the welcome and speedy reply - I need a new oven and hob fitting - I was advised by a local electrician that it needed updating ... I not have a EICR. Thank you for any advice its really appreciated...

Thank you for the welcome and speedy reply - I need a new oven and hob fitting - I was advised by a local electrician that it needed updating ... I not have a EICR. Thank you for any advice its really appreciated...
Are they installing a new circuit/s.

Are they installing a new circuit/s.
Sorry for my ignorance - I am unsure at this stage but it was for safety reasons.. I suppose I need to find out more - I am awaiting a quote.. it was originally to fit new oven and hob... I can forward image of how it is wired up at the moment - but it may not help...

Sorry for my ignorance - I am unsure at this stage but it was for safety reasons.. I suppose I need to find out more - I am awaiting a quote.. it was originally to fit new oven and hob... I can forward image of how it is wired up at the moment - but it may not help...
I am really grateful for your time and advice Thank you

Yes admittedly Proteus would not be the best option, sounds to me as though the Electrician is blagging a C/U change out of the request for a new circuit. Den there appears to be a space for an extra circuit in your C/U, it has RCD protection and is not up to the new standard of what is called an Amendment 3 type unit, that in itself doesn't mean it requires replacement.
If you are that worried get an EICR done by someone other than the bloke you got originally, along with a quote for the new circuit, I'm a bit out of date with prices, but £200 / £300 should cover the EICR, someone with more up to date knowledge will confirm the right price range for your area I'm sure, don't go ahead with the C/U change until you have had the EICR done, could save yourself some heartache and money, that would be my advice, and if you see the Electrician who told you you needed a replacement CU kick his backside for me.

Yes admittedly Proteus would not be the best option, sounds to me as though the Electrician is blagging a C/U change out of the request for a new circuit. Den there appears to be a space for an extra circuit in your C/U, it has RCD protection and is not up to the new standard of what is called an Amendment 3 type unit, that in itself doesn't mean it requires replacement.
If you are that worried get an EICR done by someone other than the bloke you got originally, along with a quote for the new circuit, I'm a bit out of date with prices, but £200 / £300 should cover the EICR, someone with more up to date knowledge will confirm the right price range for your area I'm sure, don't go ahead with the C/U change until you have had the EICR done, could save yourself some heartache and money, that would be my advice, and if you see the Electrician who told you you needed a replacement CU kick his backside for me.
LOL... - Thank you so much - that's good advice - I will take it on board ...

The main issue with your current fuseboard is the up front RCD, so when it trips you lose all your circuits.

It's worth planning as replacement, but not essential as you seem to have a spare way in the current unit.

You may also need your earthing and bonding upgraded.

Hope this helps

The main issue with your current fuseboard is the up front RCD, so when it trips you lose all your circuits.

It's worth planning as replacement, but not essential as you seem to have a spare way in the current unit.

You may also need your earthing and bonding upgraded.

Hope this helps
Thank you for the advice - I really appreciate it

He may have legitimate reasons for suggesting a replacement.
He may indeed, but imo it's doubtful, no testing a quick look and oh yes madam you need a new fuse box that'll be£--- put your own figure on that Westy, you're a good bloke, but in this case far to trusting.

He may indeed, but imo it's doubtful, no testing a quick look and oh yes madam you need a new fuse box that'll be£--- put your own figure on that Westy, you're a good bloke, but in this case far to trusting.
Must be mellowing Pete, as Hemingway said to see if someone is trustworthy, trust them:)

Reply to Fuse Box/Fuse board - supply and fit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net