Discuss Fuse for a switch box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chipavatar

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could advise me.

I purchased this 6 way switch box from eBay. It has a T5 Amp Anti-Surge 20x5mm fuse fitted in the switch box itself, however I was wondering what fuse should I use for the incoming mains (it will be connected via a plug socket in the house with an RCD).

In the instructions it says "If the product is connected to the house supply by a 13Amp plug no notification is required to the local building inspector", but as I'm only going to be running low power things from the switch box (such as pond pumps and equipment) which would generally use a 3 amp fuse, I wanted to check if a 13 amp fuse is the correct fuse to use for the incoming mains supply (baring in mind there is a T5 Amp Anti-Surge 20x5mm fuse fitted in the switch box itself.

Thanks​

as long as the cable feeding that box (with the 13A plug on the end ) is no less than 1.5mm . a 13A fuse is correct. there is however nothing stopping you fitting a lower rated fuse in the plug top, but you may get the occasional fuse blowing. this is because some equipment will taks a short term surge when starting up ( eg pump motors) so i would stick with 13A.

I'd be very wary of buying anything electrical from ebay mate. Many's the time I've heard horror storys of cheap far east fakes but if you're convinced it's the genuine article then do what Tel said

Thanks for the replys.

I got some 0.75mm cable today and fitted a 3 amp fuse, hasn't blown (had it running a good 5 hours now)

Is this correct?

Thanks

Reply to Fuse for a switch box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Wallbox Fuse Box Lite Single Phase has anyone used one of these? I've installed one feeding a Pulsar Max, the Pulsar Max is set to 32Amp max. The...
Replies
Views
I have been asked to change cu from old fuse board which has 6 fuses. Only 4 fuses are used. The first fuse feeds cooker circuit. This is not used...
Replies
Views
TNC-S main supply with 16mm swa supplying garage consumer unit from main consumer unit in house, then 4mm swa supplying pond equipment through...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Customer has an extension and this compromises existing meter position, DNO is extending incomer and putting meter box on a different...
Replies
Views
I have a question which is confusing me and I cannot find a definitive answer and I hope someone can help. So I have a PC and Monitor and I have...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock