Discuss Galv lighting trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm currently doing some galv lighting trunking all wired in low smoke singles with metal fire clips installed in the trunking over the escape route. I have been supplied plastic lid by the main contractor is there any thing in regs about not being able to use this. Sorry would look in my byb but as working away and traveled with someone else it's a bit hard when it's at home I really appreciate your help stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know any reason why you cant use plastic lid as long has you have the metal retaining clips so the cables dont full out if the lid was to melt , afterall you can still use yt2 amd yt 4 plastic mini trunking as long as you use the retainging clips, unles metal lid has been specified by the designer.

Last edited:
Galv trunking should have a galv lid?. Think I have seen it many years ago.Nothing wrong with using plastic and singles either, the only concern I would have, no mechanical protection with plastic maybe not even with a lid?, what is the environment and situation of use.

Just didn't know if there was anything to say about the plastic lid on it falling and causing a hazard but I guess I'm just over thinking this as the light fittings are plastic back all though held on by clips I'm sure a plastic light melting and hanging is more of a hazard then a 1,5 m bit of plastic lid

Galv trunking should have a galv lid?. Think I have seen it many years ago.Nothing wrong with using plastic and singles either, the only concern I would have, no mechanical protection with plastic maybe not even with a lid?, what is the environment and situation of use.
All lighting trunking i have installed has had plastic lid , athough i have seen metal lid in the past

You should also consider whether the PVC lid is flame propagating and whether it would release toxic fumes.

I would far prefer to see galvanised lid to be honest.

You should also consider whether the PVC lid is flame propagating and whether it would release toxic fumes.

I agree and would prefer to use galv lid but Is the plastic lid any different to 12 plastic non corrosive fittings I presume these would also release toxic fumes

I don't see the relevance unless the designer has spec'd metal.

It's going to be full of PVC singles isn't it?

Designer spec'd plastic lid just wasn't 100% if there was anything in byb to say about anything like the plastic lid falling and causing obstructions

Reply to Galv lighting trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock