Discuss Garden Lighting Issue in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

daver

Hi guys & Ladies

Was called to a job last week over some garden lights which were tripping the RCD.

Basically no problem with the installation, fused @ 3A of his conservatory sockets and switched. He then has 12 decking / walk over lights GU10, not the best quality but buried in concrete/soil and all the JB's have been siliconed and bagged.

Problem being is the lights have mild condensation inside them, which is causing the tripping.

I advised him to dry them out or wait till the weather improved, as his garden was like a bog.

If they came on, they would be dried out in minutes but that doesn't solve his problem.

He has a split board, all sockets on RCD and lighting on non RCD. If the original spark had wired them correctly on a lighting circuit, then I would not have been there. But now I have mentioned that to the customer, he wants me to change it.

Just looking for some views on this.

Cheers in advance.

morning daver , you shouldnt move something off an rcd just because its tripping, cure the fault dont hide it on the switch side of the cu,
if the joints were made correctly and the fittings fitted properly condensation shouldnt be an issue.

morning daver , you shouldnt move something off an rcd just because its tripping, cure the fault dont hide it on the switch side of the cu,
if the joints were made correctly and the fittings fitted properly condensation shouldnt be an issue.

Mark
Had no intention of moving it, it would be near on impossible to pick up a lighting circuit anyway as there is now around 30 Sq m of indian stone. covering everything. He called this morning to say they had worked all night, but the weather has been good. But I can see this will change the first weekend it rains, and the call will come in again. Think I will walk away, as I will end up as the landscaper / electrician if I'm not careful. I can only get to 1 JB as the rest are buried.
To be fair to the first spark, the job is excellent, just on the wrong circuit. I think by the amount of silicon and the fittings, he was expecting this at some point.

Cheers anyway

I agree with mark, the units should be a sealed unit so condense should not occur.
Are the fittings the right ones for the job.

I agree with mark, the units should be a sealed unit so condense should not occur.
Are the fittings the right ones for the job.

Right ones for the job!! Yes, But buy cheap, you buy twice. Just cheap eterna fittings, but as for condensation, when heat hits cold, you will always get condensation whether you spend 10 or a 100.

Not a problem guys. Thanks for your comments.

Surely no on would put any 240v feed to a garden on a non-RCD circuit these days, even if it was easy to do?? Certainly wouldn't meet 17th. Probably not even 16th?? Daz

Just out of interest were the lights sealled properly or not, if it was humid on day of installation then opening them up in dry weather to air them and dropping in one of the sillica bags might sort the problem. When installing a bit of dry cement inside the light will suck the water up and avoid this problem in the first place

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Garden Lighting Issue in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock