Discuss Gas boiler service in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm84

-
Reaction score
Hi I had my gas boiler serviced a few weeks ago and just received the invoice.

I haven't received any other paperwork in regards to the service. Isn't it compulsory to issue some sort of cert. We don't even know if the boiler was ok.

If I have a Periodic Inspection of the electrical installation I receive a cert, if I have my car serviced I receive a breakdown of what was carried out, why don't I receive anything for a boiler service.

I remember a few years ago when I lived in rented property I received a cert when the boiler was serviced.

Any advice would be appreciated.

That's fair enough but I am wondering whether it's normal practice to issue a cert after servicing a boiler. Can any heating engineers comment?

I don't think there is any certificate to be issued.
When you were in rented accommodation it would have been different as there would have been a landlords gas safety test carried out which is part of the gas safety laws and so has official documentation.
A boiler service is not part of the gas safety laws but is just a manufacturers recommendation so carries no official paperwork.
The invoice will be your record of having had the service carried out. Boilers are often supplied with a manual/paperwork of some kind which includes space to record each service much like the service record for a car. If you have made this available to the person doing the service then they will have filled it in, if not then I doubt they'll have gone rummaging through your house to try and find it.

Don't pay the invoice and email the company requesting the paperwork..... and if no paperwork appears don't pay the bill until it does.

Exactly what paperwork should he be asking for? He has the invoice, and the service record book will have been filled in if the customer made it available to the person doing the service.
Withholding payment will only lead to him being pursued by the debt collectors.

Exactly what paperwork should he be asking for? He has the invoice, and the service record book will have been filled in if the customer made it available to the person doing the service.
Withholding payment will only lead to him being pursued by the debt collectors.

I wasn't suggesting he didn't pay - more like delay payment until the situation is clarified by the company who did the service!

There is no paperwork produced when we service a boiler unless a safety issue has been discovered. The benchmark book may need the service recording depending on the age of the boiler, and you having the benchmark book, which frequently gets misplaced.

The only time we issue paperwork is for a landlords certificate or the commissioning of an new appliance.

I haven't received any other paperwork in regards to the service. Isn't it compulsory to issue some sort of cert. We don't even know if the boiler was ok.

If I have a Periodic Inspection of the electrical installation I receive a cert, if I have my car serviced I receive a breakdown of what was carried out, why don't I receive anything for a boiler service.

I remember a few years ago when I lived in rented property I received a cert when the boiler was serviced.

Any advice would be appreciated.

"Hello atm84",

As other Members have stated there is no official Certificate required for a Boiler service - BUT if I was involved in Boiler Servicing I would have produced a `Gas Appliance Service / Repair Report` Form with all of the necessary items to Check / Clean etc. listed on it - plus boxes to tick and sections for comments.

A Professional approach would definitely dictate that there should be an itemised `Appliance Servicing Report` Form to complete and give a copy to the Householder / Customer.

I would expect any Company or Individual that does Gas Appliance Servicing & Repair works to have these `Appliance Servicing / Repair Report` Forms.

I don`t want to worry You / other Members but a recent Investigation by Which Magazine found that a VERY LOW percentage - IF ANY of the `Boiler Engineers` that they arranged were carrying out the correct Servicing procedures when they set up some Servicing appointments in August.

I really was disgusted when I read about these findings - especially as British Gas and SSE Engineers were amongst those involved in this Which Investigation !

Here are two articles about this from Which:

Can you trust your boiler engineer? - August - 2015 - Which? News

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/boilers/article/getting-the-best-boiler-service

Here is an article written by the `Gas Expert` / Gas Engineer who covertly watched the Servicing for Which [hidden cctv cameras] - He states that NOT ONE of the `Boiler Engineers` carried out the Servicing correctly:

Boiler servicing investigation expert: 'I was stunned' - Which? Conversation

I don`t want to worry Members - BUT - I would like everyone to be SAFE at Home regarding the Annual Servicing / Condition of their Gas Appliances.

However without actually having a list of the Servicing procedures and watching everything that the Boiler Engineer does to ensure that everything on the list IS Checked / Cleaned etc. there is NO WAY to be sure that a Gas Appliance Service has been carried out correctly - doing that is obviously impractical for most people.

After reading these articles how can anyone ever have confidence in a Boiler Engineer / a Boiler Service again ?

Which did produce a Boiler Servicing Diagram relating to their investigation showing the items to be Checked etc. but I cannot see how to attach it to this message - I don`t see any `Browse` facility to attach an image here - I don`t have a `URL` to enter for the Diagram that I downloaded onto my Computer - am I missing something regarding attaching a File / Image on here ?

Members can download that Diagram / `Boiler servicing Checklist`from the Which Boiler Servicing Review article:

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/boilers/article/getting-the-best-boiler-serviceRegards,

Chris

Last edited:
Chris, who made this check list gas safe or which?

forget that found it, so the customer is supposed to stand there behind the qualified person servicing the boiler with a tick sheet, without actually knowing what they are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember getting some form of record, when I last had my boiler serviced by Worcester-Bosch. And thinking about,I think you should get something. You get a receipt for just about anything else.

Gas Safe have forms for this. Its usually a 3 x duplicate Service copy form ( White/Pink/Yellow ) 1 copy for customer 1 for landlord if needed and 1 to be retained by service engineer. Flue analysis is mandatory now for boilers / grills / ovens / fires and you should have a copy of these with the record if there not cowboys. the form can include up to 4 appliances. they should also rate each appliance to make sure correct pipe sizing to each appliance to confirm gas supply is adequate . a bit like cable sizing with electrics.

Gas Safe have forms for this. Its usually a 3 x duplicate Service copy form ( White/Pink/Yellow ) 1 copy for customer 1 for landlord if needed and 1 to be retained by service engineer. Flue analysis is mandatory now for boilers / grills / ovens / fires and you should have a copy of these with the record if there not cowboys. the form can include up to 4 appliances. they should also rate each appliance to make sure correct pipe sizing to each appliance to confirm gas supply is adequate . a bit like cable sizing with electrics.

Like you state that's for Landlords. I'm not a landlord, I'm a normal homeowner, therefore should I still receive the said form?

You'd know if it wasn't.
There would be a Do not use label stuck on it and whoever was in the house at the time of service would have signed to say they were aware of the situation.

Same as this;

Buy Warning Do Not Use Gas Safety Labels

Reply to Gas boiler service in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net