• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss GFCI question connecting to 40 amp line in the Advice for Professional Canadian Electricians area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 121658

I am a DIY, but not sure if my current problem is DIY solvable given my limited electrical knowledge.

I recently purchased a home that has a 40 amp line that runs to a non-working (always displays fault light) GFCI receptacle in a bathroom and then shares the current with two other bathrooms and one other room. Both the line and load lines are attached to the line input on the existing GFCI.

Everything in the all of the respective rooms work except for the GFCI receptacle where the line comes in.

I would think that the non-initial live and neutral lines leading to other receptacles should have been connected to the GFCI's load terminals.

My questions are: (1) is this normal/safe (obviously, I don't think it is); (2) do they make a 40 amp GFCI receptacle so that the initial line cables could be connected to their appropriate live and neutral screws and the load cables connected to they're respective screws; or (3) do I need to have the whole thing rewired by someone who knows what they're doing or is this something I might be able to correct myself.?

TIA,
Art

Megawatt

-
Arms
I am a DIY, but not sure if my current problem is DIY solvable given my limited electrical knowledge.

I recently purchased a home that has a 40 amp line that runs to a non-working (always displays fault light) GFCI receptacle in a bathroom and then shares the current with two other bathrooms and one other room. Both the line and load lines are attached to the line input on the existing GFCI.

Everything in the all of the respective rooms work except for the GFCI receptacle where the line comes in.

I would think that the non-initial live and neutral lines leading to other receptacles should have been connected to the GFCI's load terminals.

My questions are: (1) is this normal/safe (obviously, I don't think it is); (2) do they make a 40 amp GFCI receptacle so that the initial line cables could be connected to their appropriate live and neutral screws and the load cables connected to they're respective screws; or (3) do I need to have the whole thing rewired by someone who knows what they're doing or is this something I might be able to correct myself.?

TIA,
Art
Hello Art I’m from the USA and I’ve never heard of a 40 amp GFCI receptacle but I agree with you if the first receptacle is GFCI and the others still work with the GFCI tripped I would say yes it’s wired wrong. As far as where you live I cannot advise you on what to do. But you are on the right track. Call an electrician and let him straighten it out and good luck

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to GFCI question connecting to 40 amp line in the Advice for Professional Canadian Electricians area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom