Discuss Going self employed please help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

leekemp85

I am an electrician working for a company in Derby i have been working there for the past six years including my apprenticeship i am now 22. I did very well at college and have continued to. I have also completed the PAT course and the 2391 testing course, I feel that I want to further my career and hopefully go self-employed but i haven't got a clue how or where to start. I know I will need part p but i am unsure what else i would need and how much it would cost or if this would be a bad time to even try? I am working for a very well known but small company with loads of work and weekly overtime and have been running jobs on my own for the last 18 months, I am currently on 10.06 a hour which is not a bad wage but i think i could earn more...but maybe not?
could somebody please help me

many thanks Lee Kemp

Re: hi every one, could do with some help plaese

Hello Leekemp, Thanks for joining electriciansforums. Sorry this is a late reply, its just I've been gathering the information for you, here goes:

You must nofity the inland revenue if you are setting up in business, within 3 months of commencing, if not, u can get a fine of £100 for being non compliant

Are you wanting to become VAT registered? I think its if your turnover is £61,000 you need to

Do you need an accountant? Most likey yes matey, because you may well spend money on a guy to do your books, and that person may well save you more than what you've paid him for. try and target the small accountant businesses

Quoting for a job, Cost of materials, Cost of overheads and your Salary. With your materials you may want to go to a number of local suppliers and negotiate trade discounts, and make sure you shop for the best deals. Also A good pointer would be to stock on the most common materials, You don't want to be going back for the same stuff all the time do you. Time is money

Travelling costs The Inland revenue rate 40p per miles is a reasonably accurate estimate.

Advertising Reputations is the cheapest way to advertise, so make sure you do a good job

Going limited setup cost £450, running costs are greater, accountant rates are higher. year end accounts are more precise

Extras which I think you should consider:
- Stationary, business cards, headed letters for quotes and bills
- Websites and Emails

Well I hope I've covered most of the stuff for you to get started. And I wish good luck to the furture.

regards Luke ( my fingers are now aching )

Try to get some labour only sub contractor work with some builders or other sparks so you have some regular work to start with.

Reply to Going self employed please help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock