Discuss Hardwiring under cabinet lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Why cut off the melded plug top when you can fit a 13a socket on a patress in about 5 minutes flat.
So much easier than faffing about cutting off plug tops and using JBs.
What happens when the led light fails?
The customer is faced having to unpick a Jb
If it were simply plugged in they could quickly and easily replace the light themselves

Simply because a 13a socket on the lighting circuit is bad practice. If you must have a plug and socket use a 2a or 5a one.

It's common to refer to them as transformers though. It isn't really a problem in most cases, and is better than trying to explain the difference between an electromagnetic device and a switch mode power supply to someone who doesn't really care.
but what about LEDs that will run on a.c. as well as d.c?

AC/DC???? It all sounds like a highway to hell to me.

:):D:p

Seriously though... if there’s space down the back of the units, just drop the lights down there, driver on top of unit, hidden... and plugged in.
Most of these LED kits come with one driver with a number of outputs. If plugging in multiple lights into one, just make sure the total load on each driver doesn’t exceed the max stated output of the driver.

I installed a double outdoor socket, in readiness to plug some Philips garden lights into. Forgot to tell the guy installing my decking; he plugged in his 110v chop saw into it, which tripped the lighting mcb, when he went to cut some decking.

He plugged his saw into something else, and I reset the mcb when I got home. But we survived.

Genuinely interested in the various answers here!
If it's a dedicated lighting circuit, why risk someone plugging in a big Hoover? Just put in a JB and then no-one can do that?
If it's a rfc or radial for sockets, just use a plug and connect the driver that way...I know my lights are plugged into one outlet of a double socket, the other socket powers the fridge/freezer.
Horses for courses?

Genuinely interested in the various answers here!
If it's a dedicated lighting circuit, why risk someone plugging in a big Hoover? Just put in a JB and then no-one can do that?
If it's a rfc or radial for sockets, just use a plug and connect the driver that way...I know my lights are plugged into one outlet of a double socket, the other socket powers the fridge/freezer.
Horses for courses?

Nobody is going to climb on top of the cupboard to plug the Hoover in :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DPG, if you saw the way the "professionals" wired this place...you would have to plug the vacuum cleaner in on top of the units!
Seriously, what i meant was, if, for example, you wanted to plug the extractor fan in, then a handy double socket would be the thing. But...if that socket was off the lighting circuit, you might not want to do that...even though the fan is fairly low powered. i just think that if you see a 13A socket, you might expect it to be for that type of load, whereas, to put a 13A socket on a lighting circuit, just to power some LEDs might be confusing. I expect no-one will die as a result! It's a bit like pump nozzles at the filling station...some supply diesel, some supply petrol...always nice to be sure what you are getting out of the nozzle!

It does not specify the purpose of the circuit it gives suitable methods of connecting a luminaire to the fixed wiring.
[automerge]1567461593[/automerge]
I never said a 13a socket should not be used supply lighting. I have said a 13a socket should be on the lighting circuit. Not the same thing at all.
In #21 you refer to this as bad practice.

Simply because a 13a socket on the lighting circuit is bad practice. If you must have a plug and socket use a 2a or 5a one.
I never said a 13a socket should not be used supply lighting. I have said a 13a socket should be on the lighting circuit. Not the same thing at all.
Make your mind up mate. You're going round in circles here.

I have said a 13a socket should not be on the lighting circuit.

Typo corrected. ('not' added).
There is no Regulation prohibiting this in fact it is a suggested method of connecting a luminaire. I agree in some instances using one in an inappropriate place may cause problems and in such instances 2A or 5A maybe the correct method, I have 2A at home. One amendment to the 16th Ed removed 13A sockets from the suggested list but was reinstated.

Reply to Hardwiring under cabinet lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock