Discuss Has anyone seen 3 phase lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Adp

-
Reaction score
Hi new to this, has anyone ever seen lighting on a 3 phase breaker ? A company wanted to use a 5core swa and and share the neutral for using on the other 3 phases, they were told they can’t do this but have now decided to try get round it by using a 3 phase breaker. This is in a 3 phase board and the lighting is going round a premises. Surely this can’t be right ???

It is not uncommon on large lighting installations to have groups of lighting across a three phase protective device using a single neutral conductor provided the protective device is linked so all lines simultaneously trip. See Reg 559.5.5

They were wanting to have say 1L1 5L1 and 8L1 with one neutral, if you isolate one of these to work and the one you work on may become live. Yeah it’s one linked protective device. I just think it’s silly as if there is a fault with one phase you lose all lighting.

They can't use a triple pole linked device across the same L1 line it needs to be 1L1, 1L2 and 1L3. It is perfectly acceptable to use this method.

Last edited:
There would be no benefit to running the same phase down 3 cores with one neutral as the neutral conductor would need to be sized to carry the 3 combined phase currents so you might as well use one live. If they want 3 individually switchable circuits, I believe a 5core SWA could be used if all the switchable circuits were fed from the same MCB and so had 1 point of isolation.

Otherwise, as mentioned above you could run a 3ph circuit with 230v lights split across the 3 phases.

There would be no benefit to running the same phase down 3 cores with one neutral as the neutral conductor would need to be sized to carry the 3 combined phase currents so you might as well use one live. If they want 3 individually switchable circuits, I believe a 5core SWA could be used if all the switchable circuits were fed from the same MCB and so had 1 point of isolation.

Otherwise, as mentioned above you could run a 3ph circuit with 230v lights split across the 3 phases.
No the neutral wouldn’t.

The idea at the start was 3 separate circuits from the same line sharing the neutral for each circuit. Now they are using a linked 3 phase breaker and neutral to supply the lights. I just don’t like the idea of it for fault finding, issue with a light on one phase and it trips you lose them all. Compared to just a third

The Neutral wouldn’t need to be sized to carry the combined 3 phase currents.

The post you were replying to was a response to the Ops situation where someone has suggested running three different circuits, all connected to L1 down the 5 core, sharing the neutral. The neutral would need to be 3x the size for this, if it was permitted.

QUOTE = L1 down the 5 core, sharing the neutral. The neutral would need to be 3x the size for this, if it was permitted.

QUITE WRONG ME THINKS,
you are forgeting it is a three phase source,
so all theree phase neutral currents don't run simultaniously,
only two phases will interact at any one time,
So the figure will be around about 1.7 times the current
at any one time.

star or delta ?
The O / P was referring to star wasn't he ?
So where is the error ?

In a three phase star,
the current in the neutral could be,
as high as 1.7 times the individual phase currents.

it is NOT ever 3 times
(not at any one time).

Last edited:

Reply to Has anyone seen 3 phase lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock