Discuss Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
Surely every member is respected.

It sounds ever so cliquey.

I think in the current times when everybody should be totally equal, denoting who's 'respected' it a bit cheeky.

It used to be called "Elite Member" - Christ, imagine if we had that these days?!?!?!
On TilersForums.com it's now 'Trusted Advisor' but even then the advice changes and it's marking old now inaccurate posts as if the post should be trusted. And it can cause a bit of a shitstorm every now and again because some poor sod has tiled their bathroom the old way and their tiles are falling off.

I've put a poll up to get a feel for it. But it's not to say if either outcome is clear - that we will go for it.

It's up for discussion.

Please be professional with your replies. That said we wont be warning anybody for speaking out. This is my own thread and my chin can take it. :)

You on your hols Ian.
We used to have Trusted Adviser on here but we changed it.

I assume it was. I can't actually remember.

I think we wanted to show who's advice was to be more accurate than another. But over time it just got dished out to friends and whatnot.

We even had votes on members in tilersforums.com. Imagine getting the tag and then one day finding out several people voted against you getting it!

It's shocking really IMO.

Not sure which way to vote for this. I can understand your point of view but it's sometimes useful for the newcomers to see who is 'respected'.
I thought that it only got given to people who earned it.

But over time it just got dished out to friends and whatnot.

Explains why I don't have it..... as I have no friends... or life.... :sob::sob::sob:

I have a Forum Mentor? Should that be looks at as well, if the Respected Member is being looked at?

Forum mentors help out the trainees - so that's sort of got a purpose.

I'm pretty sure advice these days is chosen as a whole and not just one person with the tag going around - perhaps even putting off newer guys from posting? Because they don't have the tag and somebody with it has already replied?

Not sure.

I'm not much for it personally. Whether earned or not.

Forum mentors help out the trainees - so that's sort of got a purpose.

I'm pretty sure advice these days is chosen as a whole and not just one person with the tag going around - perhaps even putting off newer guys from posting? Because they don't have the tag and somebody with it has already replied?

Not sure.

I'm not much for it personally. Whether earned or not.

Is there any point in having any of the titles you see under someones name? Except for Admin & Moderator as they may be useful to people.

It was discussed at a point amongst staff and was awarded to members that went out of their way to help others with accurate and constructive advise.

Surely every member is respected.

It sounds ever so cliquey.

I think in the current times when everybody should be totally equal, denoting who's 'respected' it a bit cheeky.

It used to be called "Elite Member" - Christ, imagine if we had that these days?!?!?!
On TilersForums.com it's now 'Trusted Advisor' but even then the advice changes and it's marking old now inaccurate posts as if the post should be trusted. And it can cause a bit of a shitstorm every now and again because some poor sod has tiled their bathroom the old way and their tiles are falling off.

I've put a poll up to get a feel for it. But it's not to say if either outcome is clear - that we will go for it.

It's up for discussion.

Please be professional with your replies. That said we wont be warning anybody for speaking out. This is my own thread and my chin can take it. :)

Not really sure it does that these days. Does it?

If somebody has gone out of their way, there's surely a better name than 'respected'. It sounds ever so 1960's golf club lol

If somebody has gone out of their way, there's surely a better name than 'respected'. It sounds ever so 1960's golf club lol
The whole situation is getting out of hand, everyone just chill out and log off today, then come back tomorrow otherwise you will make rash decisions which you will regret, it is a forum not your life
Mot bedtime yet, and Meds not taken. far to early to log out, maybe in a couple of hours after me nap, and Massage, cus I'm an old git with no life.

If somebody has gone out of their way, ther's surely a better name than 'respected'. It sounds ever so 1960's golf club lol
To be fair it was meant to show extra special respect from the staff. Looking at the name now it can be taken the wrong way lol

I don't think I'd register to a forum that gave more weight to one type of user over and above others.

Though I'm staff on a couple so perhaps I see it that way.

Imagine a mate of your mate on facebook somehow having more weight over your content just because you don't post as much on there. It just wouldn't wash.

Nobody from facebook values any post over another.

I think these days - people just share. We're used to it.

Back then we needed some way to encourage it. But now it encourages the opposite IMO.

Not sure.

Perhaps ask those who are 'respected members'?
Would you replace it with something else?
People like Richard Burns should really have something as they do stand out with their consistent professionalism and the amount of useful help they give.

Reply to Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock