Discuss Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I don't think we owe anything to any one member. We can't do. I love those who contribute loads and help. But one day a few, as always, screw it up for the masses. And it backfires.

I think he gets respect automatically because his content is accurate. His peers already know he's respected. He doesnt need a badge. Surely.

How about "Qualified Electrician" or "In The Trade"

I know the term is loose in terms of what seems a person qualified but if the RMs have been in the trade then it wouldn't hurt to actually point they out, especially as they come here for advise; we point out Trainees afterall so why not actual sparkies?

The problem with that is it can be open to interpretation.
What do you class someone who is a Qualified Electrician? Do they need to have a JIB card?
On the opposite hand nearly anyone can be classed as 'In the Trade'

i'm not sure about the work involved but here is a suggestion to mull over.
put an agree / disagree check box on each message posted.
keep it anonymous
each message could then have a swing-o-meter type thing showing what the general consensus was on that particular piece of advice.

a banner could be applied to the top 10% or 20% of people when you average the total scores over the last 100 posts or 30 days.

make the banner understandable like
Good quality advice
or something similar?

There is something similar to that available.

Where the original poster simply selects the answer they found most helpful, and that one is displayed first to others coming to read the thread.

It's common on developer forums where there are 2 dozen ways of doing the same thing.

I think the thing to remember is; a member who's advice is good all the time, earns respect by default and perhaps doesn't need a tag.

And a newbie coming on for the first time will respect those who help them out and treat them with respect.

Somebody 'earning' something on a forum has had its day I think, personally. If I were to start a forum today in 2019, I'd have no post figures showing and no banners or tags. All just content sharing. The odd like.

Not sure if it'd work mind. lol

There is something similar to that available.

Where the original poster simply selects the answer they found most helpful, and that one is displayed first to others coming to read the thread.

It's common on developer forums where there are 2 dozen ways of doing the same thing.

Wow, I didn't know that.

Just out of interest, what % of original posters click that button?

Wow, I didn't know that.

Just out of interest, what % of original posters click that button?
Not sure: Newest Questions - https://stackoverflow.com/questions
There's one example.

You need to dig around to find a busy thread. There's a lot of duplicate stuff.

I was on this thread earlier today: The storage engine for the table doesn't support repair. InnoDB or MyISAM? - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10377334/the-storage-engine-for-the-table-doesnt-support-repair-innodb-or-myisam

The answer had 22 up votes. The OP selected it also.

They don't advertise that as a forum though. It's a "public Q and A". So there's no atmosphere at all. But it's not cliquey that's for sure.

Edit: actually the OP selected the post below the one with 22 up votes. Quite confusing the first time you see it maybe. That seems to have up and down votes. It's not easy to follow but when you're looking for an answer and you end up there, the posts have awesome content - linking to other threads of the same, quoting authors of books, doing calculations etc.

But I can't remember a single persons name who's content I've used.

And I guess that's the difference. I look for the content, not the poster and then go around looking for their posts. That's unnatural.

My tuppence worth is it should remain. It helps anyone coming onto the site make an informed decision as to whether the replyer knows there stuff and can they trust there replies to be accurate and knowledgable.

I can assume respected members are those that have shown knowledge by giving good advice over the years.

I think it may be a bit of a kick in the teeth to those members who have achieved this status.

There are many very knowledgable peeps on this forum. A lot more knowledgable than me which keeps me interested and I am able to trust any advise they give.

I know who they are, but new members or visitors to site don’t. I don’t see it as a status symbol. It’s a guide to visitors to site.

I would say there are a few on this forum who should be given the respected member status that don’t have it now.

The only reason I can think you would want to remove it is maybe it is believed that a few of those respected members have fallen from grace by giving bad advice or acted in a manor not becoming the ethos of the forum. i Don’t know.

I personally could not care less what titles are thrust upon me. I had about 4 or 5 at one point when the forum changed over recently, and had none when I joined. It doesn't matter to me one bit to wear a badge, but it is nice to know that my involvement in the forum over the years is noted in some way, and I'm sure all respected members would agree.

Some titles have uses. It's obviously important for everyone to know who admin and mods are, and knowing who mentors and trainees helps with responses.

Does respected member or arms member have any relevance ? Not for me to say as I don't know the mechanics of the forum behind the scenes.

Could it matter to new members to know that the info they are being given is coming from a person who has been given official respect for the quality of their advice ? Possibly, but you'd have to ask them.

Does it sound cliquey to new members ? As above, you'd have to ask them.

Does the badge exempt that member from following rules ? Clearly the rules are enforced by staff equally across members as recent events have proved.

And a newbie coming on for the first time will respect those who help them out and treat them with respect.
This is so often not the case, badge or no badge.

I think it might be useful to have some form of indication for new members as to who is giving regular good advice.
I have not been here for that long and it has taken some time for me to get my head around who is who and how good there advice is.

most new members will have to spend quite some time understanding who gives good advice, often by reading other threads that they may not understand themselves.
but I think it should be fluid, i.e. you don't get awarded a title for life, if over the last ……..period your peers have voted your post as good then a badge for that would be a good indication that the advice lately given is both good and current.

Is that your personal opinion or the opinion of new members that have reported that to you ? Surely if these improvements are catering for new members and their perception of the site then it's their opinion that counts ?
I'm only asking.

My opinion is it's cliquey. And assumes some sort of lack of respect for those who don't have it. Which it does really, that's not just my opinion. It's the name of it that does that.

Newer members haven't had the chance to learn who is who. Those who reported threads to me simply say things like 'your forum dosn't work it's too abusive remove my threads' and feel stupid. I don't reply. I just remove their accounts and delete their intro's.

I don't think the tags should be removed personally, you could argue a new member will have the biggest problem understanding what the Electricians Arms is.

You're right there mate.

Hence my earlier comment. "I'd have no tags at all if I started again".

Though at least everybody can earn that one, and it's equally fair. And you're not rated in by your peers. It's just a case of contributing X posts and showing you're a business. (Assuming that's still the case on this forum).

I'm just wondering what we're valuing over here. And whether it's fair for all. As it doesn't seem it to me being an outsider.

Reply to Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock