Discuss Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So is this to see how many tags we loose if the tags are removed. Only yesterday I only had 'Forum Mentor' being shown. Not sure why the others have appeared again.
Maybe the decision have been made to keep them after all....

So is this to see how many tags we loose if the tags are removed. Only yesterday I only had 'Forum Mentor' being shown. Not sure why the others have appeared again.
Maybe the decision have been made to keep them after all....
I'm having a look see who's got what. And then reorganising the usergroups to get rid of a lot of the tags but keep the usergroup access right.

eg; you're not DIY you don't need the DIY tag. But you might need access to DIY forum - which currently can only be done by adding the tag. So we just need a group for non-diy to apply you to, that gives you access to DIY forum. If that makes sense.

You don't need Mentor AND Trainee - Those both have access to trainee forums. So there's another gone.

CCTV / Alarms probably doesn't need a tag. You just chat about that in the forum - those with access know you have access. Nobody else needs know.

So that would leave you with Arms and Mentor.

I quite like the labels...when I see respected member ....

. Of course, we cannot condone outright attacks, racism and so on, but I really can't see why we are even ...
Youv'e been a very respectful Pirate my my reckoning.

Quality input ,
Gizzards slit = 0
Raping n Pillargin = 0

..The only sure thing about life
--is it changes !
Now I just need training in swabbing the decks -does that mean Mopping?
(Not Mopeing)-However it's spelt !

Yes, I've heard it on other forums but not from the sparkies at the wholesalers or on other jobs. It seems to be an internet thing.

Funny how derogatory terms are not used when anonymity is removed isn’t it?.....

I think Badegg's point may have something to do with this, but also the context is important.

If I worked in a large firm where guys came and went and varying levels of training were held by those guys, then talk might be be more forthcoming about issues pertinent to levels of training.

As it is I work by myself and have brief chats in the wholesalers at best, so the term is not likely to crop up. I am however a member of several internet discussion platforms where the issue of training levels crops up more often than in my day to day doings.

So you can see how the context and likelihood of these terms being used is important when deciding whether or not this forum is at fault or to blame for the use and or perpetuation of this term.

I think Badegg's point may have something to do with this, but also the context is important.

If I worked in a large firm where guys came and went and varying levels of training were held by those guys, then talk might be be more forthcoming about issues pertinent to levels of training.

As it is I work by myself and have brief chats in the wholesalers at best, so the term is not likely to crop up. I am however a member of several internet discussion platforms where the issue of training levels crops up more often than in my day to day doings.

So you can see how the context and likelihood of these terms being used is important when deciding whether or not this forum is at fault or to blame for the use and or perpetuation of this

It's not the forum. It's the members. We've never had a tag saying that. And never really allowed it.

Don't bring the forum into it lol

I even banned the wording at one point so it starred out but then we had word war 3 about it.

It's not the forum. It's the members. We've never had a tag saying that. And never really allowed it.

Don't bring the forum into it lol

I even banned the wording at one point so it starred out but then we had word war 3 about it.

The members are the forum. Without one there would be no other.

The members are the forum. Without one there would be no other.
The forums stance is me. I've never liked the term. And never encouraged that language.

Its members are the ones using it.

I can block it now in seconds. But it doesn't change the members view of it. They need learn how to get along with new members and new guys in the industry / or on the forum.

Once the forum was a bit of banter between us electricians with an open discussion with situations we found ourselves in and was open to opinions of our peers it has become a how-to for DIYers and when they get told that the advice is you need to engage the services of an electrician they bite back. It is helpfull if a profile is filled in as you can give advice accordingly.

In a previous incarnation the forum had the thanks button along with a thanked x times in x posts counter.

For me this worked well as an indicator.

For example 99% of my posts are just general chat very few of them are actually giving technical advice, probably best that way ;) , so a quick look at the thanks count would give weight to different advice from different members.

In a previous incarnation the forum had the thanks button along with a thanked x times in x posts counter.

For me this worked well as an indicator.

For example 99% of my posts are just general chat very few of them are actually giving technical advice, probably best that way ;) , so a quick look at the thanks count would give weight to different advice from different members.
It's has the same. Your reaction points are like counts.

Click on any name to see "Posts" and "Reaction Points" or "Reaction Score" - it's one or the other. I'd have to work it out in a min. Just bringing plumbing forum back online first.

Last edited:
It's has the same. Your reaction points are like counts.

Unless i'm misunderstanding the reaction point system then I get reaction points for posting general chat and blether that people like and or find amusing.

The Thanks button is/was much more likely to be used after someone provided good sound advice that helped someone out.

No system is perfect but I think that some sort of system to give weight to advisory posts is good.

Unless i'm misunderstanding the reaction point system then I get reaction points for posting general chat and blether that people like and or find amusing.

The Thanks button is/was much more likely to be used after someone provided good sound advice that helped someone out.

No system is perfect but I think that some sort of system to give weight to advisory posts is good.
See my edited post above.

The like button, smiley, and love-heart eyes are all positive reactions (so a like) - the other three are neutral.

So my score is usually always low on forums. As I bring rules in lol

So I'm thinking it's the score one.

Find a new member who has a few posts, and you'll see he has a few 'likes' (reaction points) or whatever. It's that one.

The forums stance is me. I've never liked the term. And never encouraged that language.

Its members are the ones using it.

I can block it now in seconds. But it doesn't change the members view of it. They need learn how to get along with new members and new guys in the industry / or on the forum.

Old dogs new tricks etc. You can't change attitudes with older guys or with the industry at large. That's not in your power or interests.
You can however manage the forum to the best of your abilities, and I honestly think you do a pretty good juggling act.

The opposite to your argument would be that short course trained people need to realise the differences between their training and others, realise their limitations, and accept other's views on their position.

The best short course trained people ( notice how deftly I'm avoiding the term ;) ) are those who do this and seek to improve. There are a quite a few internet based members who take this stance and stick up for themselves. They get my personal "respected member" badge in my head.

We are all here to improve and help others, no matter what our background, and banning trade terms that may offend others may not find an end. Do we ban "wetpants" and "spreads" in case any plumbers or plasterers get offended ? Do we even ban "sparky" in case us professional electricians take exception ?

Reply to Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net