Discuss Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think a lot of members are getting confused with the whole, Respected Member status.
It is nothing to do with qualifications, it was purely based on staff opinion of selected members, we wanted to say thanks to a few of the guys who over the years had been model members, nobody is perfect so they probably had the odd slip up over the years but in general were , well behaved , polite, helpful, engaging , towed the line etc etc.
I dont care if they are are milkman or bakers they got the title due to their behaviour over the years.
In fairness, it seems like the forum owner is confused by it as well. Do you guys not communicate cause it all looks like you are all pulling in different directions and no one is in control of the ship

No confusion on this ship pal.

I am a new member. This is a tough one.
I previously joined a different forum that I shouldn't have because it is for 'professionals and contractors' only. I could be described as a non apprenticed electrician's helper. I was treated with disrespect by a lot of the members. That made me a 'disrespected member'. The general attitude I witnessed was haughty, self centered, egotistical, and crude. I like humor but was never a big fan of Don Rickles' put down style.

My first impressions of this forum are positive. I think having some kind of badge system, and the ability to 'like' are ok parts of a forum. To grade one member's advice as more valuable than another's is walking on spongy ground. Maybe the term 'respectful member' is too ambiguous? Throw alternatives into a pool to vote on? Before I could say, "Out with 'respected member" I would need to see the alternative.
From what I see so far, there is plenty of respect in this forum. Creating and keeping a level of decency is great. It's the moderator's job to maintain that high standard. Thanks for doing that.

Last edited:
We’ve all got to start somewhere. My angst is with the companies selling this 5week ----. A mate of mine went through it, He went in as a trade ombudsman for unite. The “Company” were telling the trainees they could do more than their domestic installer scope.

I was treated with disrespect by a lot of the members. That made me a 'disrespected member'.
No need for that, I hope you get better treatment in the future. I also hope your replies are worthy of the forum and not nonsense

Reading through some of the posts, it is clear that some members do not respect other members and post unkind comments about their questions.
I think that more actions should be taken against people who post unkind or unnecessary remarks if people are ignoring the respect members tag.

Reading through some of the posts, it is clear that some members do not respect other members and post unkind comments about their questions.
I think that more actions should be taken against people who post unkind or unnecessary remarks if people are ignoring the respect members tag.
this has been highlighted recently and admin/mods are keeping a close watch. as a new member, you may see some posts that you may think are offensive, but are banter between some long-term members ( e.g. post #306 ).

this has been highlighted recently and admin/mods are keeping a close watch. as a new member, you may see some posts that you may think are offensive, but are banter between some long-term members ( e.g. post #306 ).
Yes cheers tel, and friends, rapparee is a good en, we have been taking the Michael out of each other on various sites for 10 years lol, a good lad, for a paddy :D

I like @rapparee, even though he doesn't class me as a qualified electrician... :cry::cry::cry: But I still love him... :hearteyes:

I like @rapparee, even though he doesn't class me as a qualified electrician... :cry::cry::cry: But I still love him... :hearteyes:
That’s enough back slapping for him, he has a motorway to tarmac :D

Just the terminology seems to be the problem here, of course all members should have respect, but some members may not even be electrically qualified themselves? So a grade remark may possibly accompany the replying or posting message.

Incidentally the first three of my tags (RM, EA & TA) nicely match the colour scheme of our boat, so please don't change those. The DIY tag (which I'm not fond of anyway) could usefully be changed to black to match the black bitumen above the waterline.
View attachment 51096

A bit of light blue on the flags there!

Love the boats! Looks like a river crossing?

I would say that the staff have all been looked at down the line hence why they are staff.

So is in order to moderate etc you need to have a sound electrical knowledge? The whole concept is bonkers I am sure you agree. It is all decided on who the staff like and that is the truth. Most staff with the exception of Lee contribute very little in terms of electrical knowledge or advice so maybe it is time for new staff???

I think a lot of members are getting confused with the whole, Respected Member status.
It is nothing to do with qualifications, it was purely based on staff opinion of selected members, we wanted to say thanks to a few of the guys who over the years had been model members, nobody is perfect so they probably had the odd slip up over the years but in general were , well behaved , polite, helpful, engaging , towed the line etc etc.
I dont care if they are are milkman or bakers they got the title due to their behaviour over the years.

That makes more sense. Maybe the title is a little misleading. At the end of the day this is an electrical forum and to most I am sure they would assume a Respected Member knew what they were talking about more than a non Respected Member.

Reply to Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net