Discuss Heat Sensors and Micro Switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Kitchen Exhaust Hood that an "electrician" tried to wire and has a disaster.
Basically, I have 2 motors, 2 on/ off switches, 2 micro switches, and 1 heat sensor.
When the heat sensor is activated, motor 1 needs to turn on regardless if the switch is turned on or off.
When Micro switch 1 is activated, motor 1 needs to turn on, regardless of the switch position.
When Micro Switch 2 is activated, motor 2 need to shut off.
When the Micro Switches are not activated, the switches should operate normally.

Its my understanding a contactor is needed for the micro switches to activate the motors?
I have a drawing made if anyone is interested, i can email it to you and you can draw what is needed.

I'm a bit confused about the intended sequence....

How are the microswitches operated? Also you say microswitch 2 must shut down motor 2 but what condition turns motor 2 on?

I'm a bit confused about the intended sequence....

How are the microswitches operated? Also you say microswitch 2 must shut down motor 2 but what condition turns motor 2 on?
The micro switches are activated by a mechanical lever actuating and pushing the micro switch when a cable is released from a fusible link melting.

Motor 2 would be turned on and running from on/off switch. The switch would need to be in the on position but the micro should turn the motor off.regardless.

Okay, so both motors are manually started and stopped by on/off switches.
Motor 1 must auto start via a heat sensor microswitch regardless of the manual on/off switch setting.
Motor 2 must auto stop via a second heat sensor microswitch regardless of the manual on/off switch setting.

Is that correct?

this is not a job for an electrician, your fire alarm company should be providing details about how this should be integrated to your fire alarm.
they may provide a specification or just quote to do the work.

I presume the extractor and other equipment has been specified because of a specific risk assessment.

Reply to Heat Sensors and Micro Switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net