Discuss Help! Is this wiring correct? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Clocks

-
Reaction score
I’m having my house extended and they have run a grey 2 core cable with black and red wires coming out of it ( but no apparent earth) to all the downlights and I think the same or similar to the sockets and light switches. Is this correct wiring? I read something about red and black being old wiring and I am concerned about not seeing an earth cable. Advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Help! Is this wiring correct? 2D639250-F83D-4E1F-9668-9F1D4EE4EA95 - EletriciansForums.net
    2D639250-F83D-4E1F-9668-9F1D4EE4EA95.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 153
As above we need a picture of the end of the cable. Also how old is the property?

I’m having my house extended and they have run a grey 2 core cable with black and red wires coming out of it ( but no apparent earth) to all the downlights and I think the same or similar to the sockets and light switches. Is this correct wiring? I read something about red and black being old wiring and I am concerned about not seeing an earth cable. Advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.
In the picture you provided it shows the cable pushed up in to the ceiling and has green and yellow tape on it, are these cables live? if yes be careful taking a pic of thd cores of the cable.

that cable certainly looks like T/E.

Also turn off the mains and take a pic of the wiring to a socket and light switch.

Oh and welcome to the forum mate.

You are right in saying red and black are old colours. Stopped being used around 2005.

It’s not right, but I’ve seen T&E run to new downlights with the earths cut off. There has to be an earth run to every point in case a metal accessory is fitted in the future.

Where would anyone buy twin without an earth these days?

I would think the earths have been cut off at the lights, but are present at the switches and sockets.
Is there any empty cable drums left or in a skip you can see? The cable number will be 6242Y for regular twin and earth

got to be better than this. found in pete999's attic. :eek::eek::eek::p.
Help! Is this wiring correct? 1563696346267 - EletriciansForums.net

Judging by the screws in the plasterboard that downlighter is very close to the joist.
Also there appears to be an earth wire sleeved showing , but not clearly .

Have the builders supplied the electrician?
If so ask the contractor what he thinks or ask th electrician himself.

Yes this is wrong.

Worryingly if this is wrong what else is wrong?

Ask if he is qualified and registered. Get proof.

Possibly get another spark in to check or if building control is involved ask them for a visit. They will know.

Not ideal I know, but you don’t want the project finished to find it then needs putting right.

Hi all, so it looks like I made a huge mistake. The grey cable actually has a brown and blue wire coming out of it and a copper wire in between (the earth wire I believe). I was looking at an old cable. So sorry.

The green/yellow earth wire in the photo is attached to and comes with the light fitting. The tape that can been seen around the cable is holding two cables together as opposed to a joint.

Hopefully this means that the electrician is using the correct cable.

One other thing I forgot to check was the width of the grey cable as I’ve heard that it should be different for lights and sockets (1.5/2.5mm) although I’m not sure why.

One other thing I forgot to check was the width of the grey cable as I’ve heard that it should be different for lights and sockets (1.5/2.5mm) although I’m not sure why.

The lighting circuit is usually protected by a 6A breaker, therefore 1mm or 1.5mm is fine.
The socket circuit is usually protected by a 32A breaker, therefore 2.5mm or 4mm is fine, depending on circuit type.

Reply to Help! Is this wiring correct? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock