Discuss Help needed for buying the right 16a plug please! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm putting a PA system in a pub and the mains trips easily so I need to use the blue 16a wall socket. Last time I bought a 13a socket-to-16a plug but it was slightly too small and didn't fit - the end of the plug is 41 mm in diameter, and the socket diameter of the inner ring where the plastic of the plug is supposed to go into is 42 mm.

I'm struggling to find the right plug to buy because manufacturers don't seem to list any info about plug sizes. Would be hugely appreciated if someone could tell me what to look out for, or to point me in the direction of the right 13a socket-16a plug to buy.

Hello,

I'm putting a PA system in a pub and the mains trips easily so I need to use the blue 16a wall socket. Last time I bought a 13a socket-to-16a plug but it was slightly too small and didn't fit - the end of the plug is 41 mm in diameter, and the socket diameter of the inner ring where the plastic of the plug is supposed to go into is 42 mm.

I'm struggling to find the right plug to buy because manufacturers don't seem to list any info about plug sizes. Would be hugely appreciated if someone could tell me what to look out for, or to point me in the direction of the right 13a socket-16a plug to buy.
Try looking at some of the Electrical product Catalogues for details, I used a lot of MK stuff and the info was good never caused me any problems.

Why is the 'mains tripping easily'....and what's to say it won't using the 16amp socket.
I'll suggest getting someone qualified to investigate.
Agree get a n Electrician in to investigate the problem, messing with it yourself could be inherently dangerous.

Hello,

As others have said, you need to find out what is tripping and why. It could be a fault with the circuit or your equipment. What power output is your PA system? If it's many Kilowatts, running multiple high power amps from a 13A plug may not be the best setup.

I'm assuming the outlet os a 16A single phase socket (standard for this kind of thing). If you are buying a blue (200-250v) 2P + E 6H 16A plug then it should be compatable. They are a standard size for each current rating.

With regards to tripping it may be that there is a socket circuit designed for cleaning Power, or loaded up by other devices, so the 16A socket is a dedicated stahe supply. But always worth checking.

Hi - just reading the original post with first coffee of the day - are you sure it's 16A and not maybe 32A?
Following @Pete999 idea - here's some specs :
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/MK_COMMANDO_Tech.pdf

Just note that many of these don't have RCD protection. And imagining the worst, you've been directed to use an unprotected outlet with equipment that's known to be causing trips... As others have stated, this needs properly sorting.

A rack full of amps will have a high start up in rush current from the power supplies in them. Measuring that isnt really something you can do with standard equipmemt as it will last for a few cycles. The way to avoid trips would be to power them on one at a time instead of just plugging the whole rack in. All the equipment should of course be tested regularly, which for this type of equipment is often monthly or even eveey time it is re prepped foe a new hire.

If the outlet is 32A you will probably need a small distro box to give you some protected 16a or 13a (or even powercon and IEC). You can get rack mountable power strips as well

Thanks for the responses. It seems like the plug is 32a then if a 16a plug won't fit. It's not my pub and I've just been hired to do the PA system so not within my power to get an electrician in. The system is about 4000 watts RMS. So my best course of action would be to get/hire a distro?

Thanks for the responses. It seems like the plug is 32a then if a 16a plug won't fit. It's not my pub and I've just been hired to do the PA system so not within my power to get an electrician in. The system is about 4000 watts RMS. So my best course of action would be to get/hire a distro?

If you read the label on the socket it will tell you what type and rating it is.

What do you mean by 'do' the PA system? Is this a permanent/ semi permanent installation?

"If you have been "hired to do the PA system" then I would have thought it your responsibility to find and secure the correct equipment, after all that's what he is paying for.

A promoter is putting on a one-off event in this pub and has hired my speakers for the night. I'm trying to find and secure the correct equipment - that's literally why I made this thread

A promoter is putting on a one-off event in this pub and has hired my speakers for the night. I'm trying to find and secure the correct equipment - that's literally why I made this thread

Right, that makes a bit more sense now, it's normal to assume that anyone posting on this forum about a job is carrying out a permanent installation.

Right, that makes a bit more sense now, it's normal to assume that anyone posting on this forum about a job is carrying out a permanent installation.

my bad, should have specified. So I need to hire/get a 32a to 13a distro, or will a 32a to 16a distro and 16a-13a converter cables do?

If you're breaking it down to 13A I don't understand the need for any distro if there are 13A outlets available.
If your equipment is causing something to trip then plugging it in via a distro will only serve to cause the protective devices in the distro to trip.

You need to find out what is tripping and why, it could be a sign that there is a dangerous fault.

When was your equipment last properly tested and what were the test results?

Reply to Help needed for buying the right 16a plug please! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock