Discuss Help needed on deciding which scheme to go with! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hi everyone,
ive not long been self employed and need a little bit of advice, i know information is out there on the old web but thought id be best on a specific forum like this one.

ive already done my c&g 2360 many years' ish ago, but never got round to do my 16th edition or 2391. :mad:
all in id say ive got around 9-10 years electrical experience though not enough on paper. im doing my eal domest staller tomorrow which i know is a step in the right direction. Ive recently won a full barn conversion (new build) and also got a job to look at next week in leeds which involves a shop refit. i know what im doing when it comes to the work but im confused as to contradicting things ive heard from various ppl about what i need to do.
Is there a scheme that i can join once i get my dom installer 2moro, which will enable me to DESIGN and wire and certify the above barn conversion?
Or do i simply need to do my 17th editon course to enable me to do the barn conversion? im also presuming that since i havnt done my 2391 that i would defo not be allowed to do the shop refit in leeds with it being commercial? or again is there a way of doing this job by doing my 17th?
Sorry if all this is long winded! im just trying to go about at all the right way but kinda as cheap as possible, as you all know you justa bought need a mortgage to set up on your own!!! lol

Any comments gratefully received :)

Rich from York

Rich, you do not need 2391 to do the shop refit

its is probably outside of part p requirements, so just do the job, test, inspect & certify it

you dont need to be in a scheme to do the barn conversion, just use the LABC

cheers shakey,
im thinking of joining one of the many schemes, prodomenantly the nic dom installer, heard there a bit of an arse but looks good on the side of the van.
im just nervous about getting into bother with upcoming jobs, as part p dom installer lets you design a circuit to install but doesnt let you design a new build (bit strange that as your using the same skills/knowledge!). is there any benefits to doing the 17th in relation to these jobs or other scheme providers elecsa for example?
basically as of tommorow im looking at ringing round some places for a scheme provider, someone on the course im doing said theres a scheme provider out there that comes out to your jobs and provided its all not on fire! lol theyll essentially cover you for the DESIGN of any future installations? querry as well is if i join nicy dom installer and do the commercial shop refit (poss 3 phase as well) then when i submit test sheets to nicy are they gonna confront me saying they arnt covering my work in this area? I have tried ringing nicy but they dont seem to be that helpful with the old information.

cheers all

rich

cheers shakey,
im thinking of joining one of the many schemes, prodomenantly the nic dom installer, heard there a bit of an arse but looks good on the side of the van.
im just nervous about getting into bother with upcoming jobs, as part p dom installer lets you design a circuit to install but doesnt let you design a new build (bit strange that as your using the same skills/knowledge!). is there any benefits to doing the 17th in relation to these jobs or other scheme providers elecsa for example?
basically as of tommorow im looking at ringing round some places for a scheme provider, someone on the course im doing said theres a scheme provider out there that comes out to your jobs and provided its all not on fire! lol theyll essentially cover you for the DESIGN of any future installations? querry as well is if i join nicy dom installer and do the commercial shop refit (poss 3 phase as well) then when i submit test sheets to nicy are they gonna confront me saying they arnt covering my work in this area? I have tried ringing nicy but they dont seem to be that helpful with the old information.

cheers all

rich

when you say 'part p dom installer doesnt let you design anew build' what do you mean old chap?

do you mean:

the EAL Domestic installer cert, or joining a (dom installer) competent persons scheme

the EAL certainly does not limit you 'designing' a new build (i am in the middle of teaching a course at the moment, and have taught many, many of them)

the word on the street is that Elecsa are far more 'forgiving' than the NIC or Napit

cheers shakey, im doing the eal dom elec installer course, and also want to join a relevant scheme once if got the piece of paper from eal.

I asked the tutor at the training place if i could do a "new build" by completing the eal domestic electrical installer course on monday, involving obviously the design and everything. he promptly told me no i could not and that i would need the 17th? i must admit i was a little suprised as i thought that was the whole idea of the eal dom installer part p course, that ppl who knew what they were doing could do this sort of work with no problems. im starting to wonder if the place im doing the course are on the ----- as i paid cash on monday morning and he said if i dont need a receipt then hell knock the vat off! so clearly there all in it for the money and no doubt my money is prob paying for a day ast the races!! lol

cheers

rich

to be blunt he is talking rubish

believe me, having taken my centre from not even teaching any electrical courses, to having fully designed, installed EAL bays, making up task books, lesson plans, powerpoints, marking guides etc etc I know this course arse backwards

Ask him which one of the learning outcomes specifiaclly prohibts holders of the qual from new builds;)

you will certianly need the 17th to join a scheme, but that is nothing to do with new builds, and nothing to do with EAL

cheers, i will ask him tomorrow and post a response here. i presume theres only one eal dom installer course! and im not doing something else lol.
ill sleep easier tonight knowing ive not just wasted a grand for nothing! he specifically told me that it was the design side of it that i would be bamboozled on, he said if the client has a electrical drawing produced i,e somone else designing it i could then 1st n 2nd

as of 2moro say once ive got the eal sorted could i then join the nic dom installer scheme, and certify the barn conversion that way or would nicy not cover me for new builds!

sorry if im going up n down like a sinusoidal waveform, just got soooo many questions!!

cheeers

rich

passed dom installer course today, and got confirmation about wiring new builds, he clealy stated that i could only wire them if the client had a elecitrical design produced, feel a wee bit confused and like ive just wasted a baga sand!

rich

Last edited:
well to blunt, he is giving you an opinion

there is NOTHING in the course material from EAL that even suggests this

however, you almost certainly wont be able to join a cheme without the 17th edition

Reply to Help needed on deciding which scheme to go with! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock