Discuss Help wiring ceiling fan. Amateur! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fredo

Hi Chaps. I am putting in a ceiling fan. My electric skills are basic. I have 3 sets of wires in my ceiling. 3 lives, 3 neutrals (one is the switched live) 3 earths. The fan has 2 lives, 1 neutral and 1 earth. The fan has a 3 hole terminal block. I will be using the wall switch to turn the fan on/off. How do i wire these together? It is the 3 hole terminal block and the switched live i cannot get my head around? Thanks....

Hi and welcome
A little more information is needed i think other than ceiling fan? where is it going i.e bathroom is it an extractor fan you mean or a ceiling fan in the living room that has a light as well. It will also depend on weather it will be classed as notifiable work if it is then you are probably better contacting an electrician.
This post might need moving to D.I.Y section

Hi and welcome
A little more information is needed i think other than ceiling fan? where is it going i.e bathroom is it an extractor fan you mean or a ceiling fan in the living room that has a light as well. It will also depend on weather it will be classed as notifiable work if it is then you are probably better contacting an electrician.
This post might need moving to D.I.Y section
Hi. It is a ceiling fan with light in my spare bedroom. I dont know what you mean by notifiable work? Cheers.

Certain areas of homes are considered "special" in terms of electrical work because the potential risk of shock is higher. But a bedroom isn't such a room.
Its possible the two lives into the fan are for the fan and the light. But it should have instructions and its best an electrician installs it for you to be sure its safe.

wire as if it was just a normal light.thefan is controlled by the dangly bits. 3 speed and off.

Definitely the best way its a bit confusing as the OP states it has a 3 way terminal block but states it has 2 lives ? 1 neutral and 1 earth so i count that as 4 but might be wrong?
The fan has two lives, one for the light and one for the fan (i am guessing). All lives go together, all neutrals together and all earths together but where does the switch wire go?

No if you connect the light live to the fan live you will either haver fan and light on all the time unswitched or if connected to the switched live both fan and light will come on with the light switch.
Using the pull cords for the light isn't normally practical as you have to find the cord in the dark.
Assuming the assembly has an independent pull switch for the fan and possibly the light.
You'd connect the fan live to the supply live and the light live to the switched live.
I'd then pull the light cord and leave it on all the time (even remove or shorten the cord)
Use the light switch by the door to turn the light on and off and the pull cord on the assembly to just start the fan.
But as this involves the electrics and the risk of shock you need to be competent to do it safely.

I bought the fan years ago it has been fitted previously but the switch wasn't connected. So instructions have been binned!

Last edited by a moderator:
No if you connect the light live to the fan live you will either haver fan and light on all the time unswitched or if connected to the switched live both fan and light will come on with the light switch.
Using the pull cords for the light isn't normally practical as you have to find the cord in the dark.
Assuming the assembly has an independent pull switch for the fan and possibly the light.
You'd connect the fan live to the supply live and the light live to the switched live.
I'd then pull the light cord and leave it on all the time (even remove or shorten the cord)
Use the light switch by the door to turn the light on and off and the pull cord on the assembly to just start the fan.
But as this involves the electrics and the risk of shock you need to be competent to do it safely.
Thanks Pat H. So i connect the live wires to live and neutral to neutral, earth to earth and the light live to the switched live? So the fan should really come with a 4block connector and not a 3?

Yes you need a 4 way to have separate live for fan and light.

But as I've said before you need to be competent to undertake such work to ensure you and it are safe.

Hi Chaps. I am putting in a ceiling fan. My electric skills are basic. I have 3 sets of wires in my ceiling. 3 lives, 3 neutrals (one is the switched live) 3 earths. The fan has 2 lives, 1 neutral and 1 earth. The fan has a 3 hole terminal block. I will be using the wall switch to turn the fan on/off. How do i wire these together? It is the 3 hole terminal block and the switched live i cannot get my head around? Thanks....

You state your knowledge is basic so please seek the services of a Competent Electrician, I am sure we will have a member close to your location who would do this for a minimal fee, it isn't worth the time in A&E if it goes wrong.
Members please be careful of what information you hand out to anybody attempting diy with electrics.

this is twice in as many days now Pat that you have tried to give step by step instructions to someone who clearly isn't an electrician, whilst I admire your kind nature, do you really want to be the one that gets someone injured.

Reply to Help wiring ceiling fan. Amateur! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net