Discuss Help with choice of fittings in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning chaps!

Having now assisted several local electricians on domestic 1st and 2nd fix, I have some questions for the forum :)

What manufacturer/range of fittings would you guys recommend that provide a good balance between size of range, quality, price and ease of installation? The guys I’ve been working for have quite different opinions on manufacturers, depending on ease of install vs quality and price.

I already have some preferences (Hager sockets for example), but would be interested to hear opinions from multiple sources, especially for the harder to fit stuff like fused spurs (found that a fused spur off a ring with the three cables can be difficult to fit!) and cooker connection units and cooker switches (10mm is hard to terminate!)

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked before but I can’t find anything on the search.

Darren

I use Hager for my white plastic range, have done for years now. Click have a few very good quality ranges, and Schneider lisse is also worth a mention.

Often the ease of fitting is more to do with the depth of box your using.
Also some careful planning as to the location of the item, often just moving it a couple of inches away from where you had initially thought can make life so much easier.

Anything but lap is usually fine. As long as the fuse spurs don't have stupid terminals with the neutral at the bottom and they are all centred they are ok

Often the ease of fitting is more to do with the depth of box your using.
Also some careful planning as to the location of the item, often just moving it a couple of inches away from where you had initially thought can make life so much easier.
Fair point James, although most of the problems I find with fitting are due to poor placement of the terminals (usually I assume as it makes it cheaper!). For example, downlights with feed in and feed out terminals, where the order goes E-E-L-N-L-N or E-L-N-E-L-N. When all flat T&E I've used goes L-E-N (or N-E-L of course hehe)

Fused spurs with a mix of supply and load terminals all over the place is really annoying! Supply and load sides split equally is so much simpler :)
I know right? I hate it when you have to concentrate on the job!
I use Hamilton Verve - bit of quality, good range throughout and easy on the eye. The posh range are quite expensive though. Moulded white is very affordable.
Hager were my faves for a long while - gorgeous to look at. Selling point for me!

What ever happened to Tenby ?

Used to see Tenby all the time on council rewires and new builds in from 80s and 90s

What ever happened to Tenby ?

Used to see Tenby all the time on council rewires and new builds in from 80s and 90s
Brought out by Legrand who phased it out very 80's chunky but had nice large bellmouth terminals you could get 3x6mm into double sockets, used to like Contactum for this reason but its not stocked anywhere. Around here Deta and Hager c.u's are stocked a lot as used by the developers.

Reply to Help with choice of fittings in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock