Discuss Hospital 'emergency' Zs when on back-up generator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

been a while - hello!

A question for the collective brain - I'm about to do a series of inspections on an ANIMAL hospital. This in itself has always vexed me as to how to apply the special location medical rules as 1) a critical life-threatening operation is the same whether it's human or animal, 2) animals are generally accepted as having a lower shock threshold than humans and 3) the staff still need to be safe surrounded by all manner of O2, medical gasses, gowns..... etc.

But - specifically, the 'essential' circuits are (theoretically) backed up by a standby generator (the reason I say theoretically is because I don't think it's been run up for at least 8yrs....). Obviously, a circuit operating on public supply you'd expect to have the usual Zs limits as listed in 710 but when switched to a genny then ADS goes out the window - a 4 or 5kw petrol generator just doesn't have the current available, nor in anything like the time.

I know that in an 'ideal' situation, each cct would have an A type 10mA RCBO but that's 1) not realistic and 2) would just lead to all sorts of nuisance tripping issues.

Any thoughts other than to stop over-thinking a problem?

R.

Do they have any form of UPS to tide over until the genny kicks in?

Regs head on, 710.1 Note 2 says this standard can also be used in veterinary clinics. But how for do you go?

If using Part 7 you could technically have to abide by the rules so for example having an IT system in a group 2 location. Is Fluffy the diabetic bunny really worth it?

What sort of animals are we talking here? Domestic pets or high value race horses?

Reply to Hospital 'emergency' Zs when on back-up generator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock